Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy Kenoi indicted today of theft
Warrant has been issued for his arrest!. You can't buy a $1200. surf board on a state purchase card and not get noticed

http://www.staradvertiser.com/breaking-n...lly-kenoi/

I have to say I'm surprised.
Here are the specific charges and maximum potential penalties, according to the Attorney General’s office:

>> Counts 1 & 2: Theft in the second degree, Class C felonies each punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

>> Counts 3 & 4: Theft in the third degree, misdemeanors each punishable by up to one year in jail and a $2,000 fine.

>> Counts 5, 6 & 7: Tampering with a government record, misdemeanors each punishable by up to one year in jail and a $2,000 fine.

>> Count 8: False Swearing, a petty misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.
But he's still the mayor, right? At what point does he stop being the mayor?
I know some people are chortling with glee over this, but I just find the whole thing very sad. Here was a person who had pursued education far from his Kalapana roots without forgetting where he came from, someone who could have been held up as a role model for local kids, only to be undone by personal weakness and petty pilfering of public funds. Billy will probably lose his law license, either as part of his sentence, or as part of a plea bargain, his wife and family have to live with the shame in a small community, and a once promising political career is over. No way he is going to hold public office again, and who would ever hire him now?
This is Hawaii. They will make room for him in Honolulu. He'll fit right in.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
He was the one that was caught. Elections have consequences.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Yes, he worked hard to get where he is, then HE CHOSE to pull this stupid, greedy stuff.

but please note that he's been indicted, not convicted.
He may get off completely (presumed innocent until proven guilty, right?), or just get a slap on the wrist. That seems to be business as usual in Hilo.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
Properly handled Billy will remain in office to the conclusion of the term. Any lawyer can delay that far. That way his pension likely would not be compromised.
After leaving office, my guess is, he will plead to a lesser charge of some kind... and avoid getting on the stand under oath.

It is too bad that he appears to have lived up to my expectations. It would have been better for Puna and the island if I had been wrong about him. Of course he is still presumed innocent such as that is.

The bigger disappointment to me is that $100+ million of debt and not a nickel for economic development and none of Puna's road issues solved... even given the opportunity to solve them.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I think it is time the mayor at least be put on leave without pay and let who ever else that in line to step in run to the county. I have no idea if he is guilty or not but any body else that work for the county would of been fired for the things Billy said he did with the pcard.

jrw
jrw