Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dangerous Drunk Driver Still Driving
While driving home to Leilani this afternoon we were rear- ended by a drunk driver.

This guy actually hit us three times while we were stopped at the light by the school in Pahoa.

He drove off as we got out to check for damage.Of course we immediately notified the police.

We followed him to his home in Black Sand Beach subdivision. Interestingly being passed along the way by a "friend" of this guy .... we assumed he was a witness or simply concerned , but no, he said he wanted to make sure his buddy got home safe. We informed him his "buddy" just rear-ended us 3 times. Upon hearing this,the "concerned friend" said "oh" and took off.

The police arrive, and wake the drunk from his half passed out state - in his truck - on the dead end road leading to his house.

This habitual offender - per the officer- has a suspended license ,and of course no insurance. This individual apparently drives our roads everyday.The police are unable to jail this guy.....

So the officer was going to cite him with driving on a suspended license, and no insurance. That is all we were made aware of. No hit and run, driving under the influence ( the guy technically was not on his property but a dead end / cul-de-sac road in Black Sand Beach when the officer woke him while he was still in the vehicle that hit our car) ..... now I truly do not know the laws in Hawaii regarding this situation , but common sense would seem to tell me that this guy could have been charged with other offenses. But I do not know.

The drunk then argues with the officer, the officer threatens to take him to jail, but doesn't.

The officer advises us to let our insurance co. handle it, but if the drunk driver was taken to court, he could claim that he "didn't get drunk until he arrived home"

So as I see it, someone rear-ends you, leaves the scene, is found by the police (in his vehicle)almost passed out on a road close to his home, has a suspended license and no insurance, is obviously highly intoxicated, plus is known to be a habitual offender, and he is still free to drive around as he wishes.

Amazing.

Be warned, if you see a Dark Grey , older Nissan ( 80's ) truck, with a camper shell, license plate #HLG764, notify the police immediately and keep your distance.

Greg

Happen to us also about 2 months ago. Best thing to do here on the Big Island is keep your distance from older run down vehicles or buy yourself an older vehicle for driving around in Puna. Over 60% of the people driving around in this area do not have insurance (That was from the mouth of one of the Police Officers).

Hey we have older vehicles that are fully insured!

I think drunk drivers - alcoholics - came in all types of cars. One of the worst offenders we have seen is a former beach lots resident who has totalled 4-5 brand new cars and finally on the 5th got a DUI.

Catherine Dumond
Blue Water Project Management
808 217-7578
http://bluewaterpm.125mb.com/index.html
"We help make building your dream home a reality"
I was run off the road recently by a drunk driver on the wrong side of the road in front of HPM heading towards the intersection at Ken's Pancakes.
Steve & Regina
Hawaiian Acres / North Lake Tahoe

'If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there' - George Harrison
Genxor,
I would report the police officer and he should be fired for not doing his job. The drunk could have killed you.

And or call the captain at the keaa'u station and make them follow up with a hit and run and drunk driving charge. Allowing him to get away with this is one of the reasons there's so much crime! I can't believe that you are witness' to a crime and they do nothing? Check your car for paint or any possible evidence from his and file, file file.. I don't drink,, well, I have been known to have one beer every two months or so, ha.. However, what few people realize that only drink once a week is the oder of a drinker.. A none drinking cop can smell yaw a mile away!

I wrote the Mayor and the Chief of police in Hilo about one of the Pahoa officers and he don't work in Pahoa anymore.. The keaau station called me twice on the mainland offering apologies and asking if I’d file charges against him. He’d executed an illegal U-turn after giving me a seat belt ticket, which I’d just buckled a few blocks before he saw me. he’d asked me saying he wasn’t sure.. Honestly, I told him I’d forgotten in the first block or so after leaving the store.. It cost me 82 bucks for being honest. But his U-turn across a double yellow line got him kicked out of Pahoa station in the least..

Cousin’s uncles, family or friends of the police department don't hold water when you let the right people know what's up..

We got rear-ended by an attorney once, 25 years ago, who hit and ran us.. Cops could not do a thing as he denied it all until I showed them the small piece of his plastic grill!!

His paint on your car or your paint on his and he ought to be nailed.

Oh yeah, your description of that truck?? Sound just like the guy, or truck that is, who seemed to be stalking my wife and i last Aug. while we were watching the waves on old red road, about a mile south of Hawaiian beaches. I'd guess that guy, was about 5'6-8" dark completion, dirty and grubby looking and around 45 years old. A gnarly looking attitude in his face.

Edited by - Jeffhale on 12/26/2007 12:18:41
Question: Where in the world can you drive drunk, on a suspended license, with no insurance, causing an accident, and NOT go to jail?

Answer: Puna.

Please, pursue this farther, and you will be doing us all a big favor. The reason so much of this sort of thing happens is that both the police and the criminals are generally allowed to get away with it. If the cop's supervisor does not do anything about it, take it higher. If that doesn't work, write a letter to the editor of the HTH.

Not at all cheerful after hearing about this,
Jerry

Edited by - JerryCarr on 12/26/2007 12:13:22
Maybe someone can contact the County Prosecutor's office and ask what is the definition of “direct control” of a motor vehicle and its relationship to probable cause related to Hawaii's DWOI when an officer did not personally observe the person driving the vehicle? With that everyone will know based on legal fact what an officer can and can not do. If the rules support the need for an officer to act, you have the basis for a solid formal complaint if they fail to take action against the violator. If the rules set a standard difficult for an officer to act upon if they didn’t witness the driver operating (or “under direct control” of) the vehicle, you at least know why they may not be able to take action.

While driving home to Leilani this afternoon we were rear- ended by a drunk driver.

This guy actually hit us three times while we were stopped at the light by the school in Pahoa.

Sounds like there was more than one witness. So sorry Greg that this happened to you but not serious bodily injury.

The incredulous injury to logic is stupifying to me, and the outright blindness to the law, unbelievable!

I'm with Jerry on this one.

"Question: Where in the world can you drive drunk, on a suspended license, with no insurance, causing an accident, and NOT go to jail"?

Answer: Puna.

"Please, pursue this farther, and you will be doing us all a big favor. The reason so much of this sort of thing happens is that both the police and the criminals are generally allowed to get away with it. If the cop's supervisor does not do anything about it, take it higher. If that doesn't work, write a letter to the editor of the HTH".

"Not at all cheerful after hearing about this"

Sad day to be sure, and what of the future???

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Genxor,

I've brought this to the attention of a contact at the D.A.'s office. Inquires are being made of the Keaau watch commander. I will email you direct contact info to call next week and keep this inquiry going.

Aloha,

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator