Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIDEO: Puna Traffic Tension Boils Over At Meeting
OK, It was fun to watch the people here ask all these questions...

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2016/0...t-meeting/

This is what concerns me most.....

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/wp-con...Phases.jpg

A ONE LANE ROUNDABOUT? Are you kidding me? I dunno, why, last I looked at the plans wasn't it supposed to be a 2 lane?

1 Lane? Now, instead of people from Pahoa that want to just get through this mess and go straight on through, are going to be MERGING into a 35' small circle from everyone that wants to go back home from shopping at longs or malama. To me, it's way too much traffic to be pushing through a single lane ridiculously small roundabout.

All it's going to take is for someone that is frustrated and needs to get through this mess, to be impatient and try to cut someone off and causing an accident in the roundabout. NOW NO ONE will get through, it will be completely cut off and the SINGLE road in or out......We will all be screwed.

Poor design.
Stay calm.

Any accident in the roundabout will be at slow speed and the vehicles can be moved to very wide shoulder area.
Trucks will have no problem going thru it either.
I am calm...

Low speed.....hahaha Another dreamer... Kinda like the low speed they do when they fly through a 20 mph street with speed bumps...
Any accident in the roundabout will be at slow speed

Hopefully this will prevent drivers from running down into sign waving politicians, and the entrepreneurs selling "I Survived The Pahoa Roundabout 2016" tee shirts.

"Sorry, mediums are all sold out. Come around once more if you want to try a large."

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
It will back up past the water hole.......
the SINGLE road in or out

Note that the roundabout does not fix this problem, nor was that the intent.

Same goes for the 130 widening...
The video is titled incorrectly.

It should have been "Punatics Express Mahalo and Aloha to DOT for roundabout gift".

You cannot buy entertainment like this.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
I don't understand how this project got pushed through... wouldn't a traffic light be more better..

Work..Consume...Obey - There's your meaning of life....
wouldn't a traffic light more better..

--------

Not really.

My favorite questioner was the last one. A fashion tip for the ladies reading out there: when attending formal, televised events, always shave your beard.

Snarkiness aside, I suspect all will be well. Roundabouts have a way of slowing the most lead-footed of drivers, by presenting them with the choice of a concrete barrier or a sharp right turn. Even the most inebriated driver responds to this conundrum by applying pressure to his brakes, whereas drunks frequently fail to notice the color of a traffic light. There may or may not be fewer accidents, but the accidents that occur will definitely occur at lower speeds.