Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing this to our rapid ohia death.
Things like this are starting to give me the shivers. Rapid Ohia Death can change the face of our island. Are we doing enough?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ener...stoppable/

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
This was a big contributor to the Middletown, or Cobb fire end of last season, along with the Butte fire, which was started by PGE power lines. Plenty of fire fuel added with the Pine bark beetle decimation and drought in Ca..
Hope the Ohia death is slowed or stopped before it looks like Kona side, or maybe start replant programs creating jobs.

Community begins with Aloha
"Are we doing enough?"
NO[}Smile][Sad!][V][xx(]!
With the "GMO" bill passing, we no longer have the means to fight ANY BLIGHT to our 'aina - plant, animal, insect, FUNGUS, reptile or whatever!
Just about ALL research, even hinting of a connection to "GMO" has stopped on our island! Thus, if something was "discovered" else ware that benefited us it would have to pass the "GMO" test!
SODS
COFFEE BORE BEETLE
BBTV
Get use to these and other "acronyms" NOW and in the FUTURE![8][?]
another BIG difference is our Ohias are really a group of many different types of Ohia...
its name 'Metrosideros' means 'iron heartwood' and 'polymorpha' means 'many forms'... there are 8 subspecies listed in the Wagner book... dieteri, glaberrima, incana, macrophylla, newellii, polymorpha, pseudorugosa, pumila. and at least 65 other named subspieces/synonyms in the past that have all now been grouped under Metrosideros polymorpha name.
even if you look at the worst dieoff areas you see some normal trees mixed in that look perfectly healthy still...

ps. There is also 4 other species of endemic Metrosideros in the state too.
plus all 30 different introduced Eucalyptus and the Paper Bark Tree, Aust Tea Tree, and the 2 Guavas, Java Plum, Rose Apple, Mt Apple, etc. are all in the same Myrtaceae/Myrtle Family

The 'Rust' the wiped out all the Rose Apple Trees a few years back was also affecting some Ohia, but not killing them, but I dont see this anymore... its ran its course on the ohia Ive seen, but the Rose Apples are all still dead and dying.

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
lol wtf does GMO have to do with this Ohia issue

is 'Bernie Sanders' popping into this thread next lol