Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenD
Hi, I don't know if this is inappropriate, but there was a regular poster on City-Data HI forum named OpenD, from Volcano. He would make occasional references to this forum and always seemed to give a thumbs up to the Moderator. His posts were always informational, and his love of Puna and Volcano was obvious.

One day, however, he gave notice that he was involved in some other venture, of a non-specified nature, and would reduce or eliminate his participation in the forum, and has never been heard from since. The place has not even been close to the same since he left.

I suspect. but only from his name OpenD, that he played guitar and that the reference is to the D string plucked without fretting (open).

Rumor has it that he was sick and went to the mainland and since passed away (the prospect of which saddens me).

Does anyone know what happened to OpenD. Sometimes you don't know what you have until it is gone.
I don't know anything about this person. OpenD may be a reference to a way to tune a guitar. Sometimes a guitar player will use a non -standard tuning in order to facilitate their use of a slide. I would suspect, if this is the case, that he is a blues guitar player, or fan.
Hope he is still alive..

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
We have a registered member here named OpenD. The last record of posting here was on 09/15/2014.

I hope the story has a happy result.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
OpenD's last activity on city-data was New Year's Eve, 2015. I wondered what happened to him myself. And yes, he is (was?) a guitar player.

I do remember a pseudo-farewell post from him on city-data, but no mention of ill health.
You could try sending an email through the forum:

http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=7894
Don't bother. Unfortunately PW's email feature is broken, has been for quite some time.
You know, Magnum PI was a malahini house sitter, TC was a struggling malahini tour helicopter owner, and Higgins was the professional malahini English butler, all freeloading on the Hawaiian lifestyle. Then, there is Chris Pratt, "homeless" malahini in a van on Maui, working just enough for beer and weed, in his words, and now he is a Guardian of the Universe. City-data is for malahini kamaaina-wannabes and that can be even more annoying than PW.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Pahoated scribbled:

"You know, Magnum PI was a malahini house sitter, TC was a struggling malahini tour helicopter owner, and Higgins was the professional malahini English butler, all freeloading on the Hawaiian lifestyle. Then, there is Chris Pratt, "homeless" malahini in a van on Maui, working just enough for beer and weed, in his words, and now he is a Guardian of the Universe. City-data is for malahini kamaaina-wannabes and that can be even more annoying than PW."

[?]
A friend had met him once. OpenD didn't live in Volcano, but occasionally visited. My friend mentioned his possible death, wasn't entirely sure but had found an obscure reference to an obit in Texas for a guy with the same name, not long after he had stopped posting on CD forum.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Pahoated scribbled:

"You know, Magnum PI was a malahini house sitter, TC was a struggling malahini tour helicopter owner, and Higgins was the professional malahini English butler, all freeloading on the Hawaiian lifestyle. Then, there is Chris Pratt, "homeless" malahini in a van on Maui, working just enough for beer and weed, in his words, and now he is a Guardian of the Universe. City-data is for malahini kamaaina-wannabes and that can be even more annoying than PW."

[?]

Made about as much sense as the pope having a pecker didn't it?
I believe my IQ has been somehow lowered from trying to read it.