Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
big island to molokai
Anyone know the least expensive way to get to Molokai? Other than swimming.
It's my understanding that you can fly from kona. I don't imagine there is any cheaper way.

..What would King Kamehameha do..
If you're flying from the Hilo side I've found the easiest and relatively least expensive, since other carriers have faded away, is Hawaiian to and from the Big Island to Honolulu and Mokulele for the flight to and from Honolulu to Molokai. But yes, as alaskyn66 points out, you can go direct from Kailua-Kona on Mokulele. Which is, by far, the cheapest way to go.

Keep in mind that flying to Molokai is on a small (seats 10-12) aircraft and as such there are baggage restrictions. Interestingly when you have extra baggage (I travel with guitars) you get priced by your originating aircraft so if you're doing the Hilo through Honolulu to Molokai route and starting out on Hawaiian you get fairly reasonable extra baggage costs. But coming back you get slammed by Mokulele.
"..What would King Kamehameha do.."

He would take his canoe.

The best I can find is $202 RT, it's crazy. Car rental too.
When I did it: Direct flight on Hawaiian Hilo to Maui, and then Mokulele to Molokai. If you know somebody with a car in Kahului who can take you to the ferry it might be cheaper to take the barf boat from Lahaina to Molokai, but I guarantee you any $ savings wouldn't be worth it.

Mokulele also flies to Kahului from Waimea. So two other options would be to drive to Waimea and take Mokulele to Kahului and then on to Molokai or a similar flight from Kona. Ohana probably flies to Molokai as well, but I don't know what their routes are. Things are different since Island Air pulled out.

I liked flying on Mokulele. No security to go through, everybody gets both a window and an aisle seat, and lots of photo ops during the "low and slow" flight.

If you opt for the barf boat... take dramanine, ginger, and may God be with you.
Ride the top deck on the ferry, keep your eyes on the horizon. You should be fine. I had no problems, but my wife got a little woozy.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I second what terracore said! The flight back to Maui was incredible! They angled the plane to the sea cliffs and got pretty close. What an amazing view of the north side of the island!

"One day there, madam, is worth one year of common existence," David Douglas
"One day there, madam, is worth one year of common existence," David Douglas