Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please support HB1561 - Nuisance Abatement Law
I attended the HPP Neighborhood Watch meeting today. If they are to be judged on crime figures then they are doing a great job. 3 cases of theft and 3 cases of property damage in the whole of HPP in the month of May. And that's it - no assaults, no burglaries, no stolen cars.

They asked for our support for HB1561, a Nuisance Abatement law
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session201...1_CD1_.htm

The law will be useful getting squatters out more quickly, thereby avoiding the crime and nuisance they often bring with them.

It is on the Governor's desk, already for a month, ready for him to sign. You can ask him to please sign it now at:
http://governor.hawaii.gov/contact-us/co...-governor/

Thank you!
So this bill lets you file a civil suit against a squatter with no assets ?
"Amends nuisance abatement laws to authorize civil suits to abate violations of trespass and other offenses that involve the unlawful occupation of real property.(HB1561 CD1)"

First slap a TRO on them (I'm certain they'll threatened you in some way, right?) and then start dragging them into court. Will they show up for court or violate the TRO? Research them at Hawaii Judiciary. When they run afoul of the law be sure to rat them out. In short, make their lives more unpleasant than they are making yours. They don't care, why should you?

Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Un Mojado Sin Licencia
The only way this would work would be if the "civil suits" would expedite eviction, which is a tortuous process in Hawaii. Unfortunately, this legislation does not go far enough. Squatter occupied locations have become centers of criminal activity in more than a few cases. One of those incidents in HPP which rbakker mentions is the latest in a string of crimes linked to one group of squatters.
From what I read in the above link, it seems to pattern one on the mainland, but too weak as the mainland version gave the complainant up to 10 k in damages to each household for the blight created in their neighborhood. All you need is your own phone record of each time you called in the complaint to PD, or Code Enforcement to match to their phone records in the courts. Get 5-6 neighbors with same complaint at same time, go to court, big neighborhood luau!

Community begins with Aloha
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not a lawyer but I understand this is a bill a long time in the making and it was specially designed to help with the squatter problem.
Maybe they go after the property owner?

Your support is appreciated.
quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

So this bill lets you file a civil suit against a squatter with no assets ?

That's what low-rent medicine (ACA paid now) is for.
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***