Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for 18 yr old
Hello there! An acquaintance called me to dissuade her 18 yr old from moving by himself to the Big Island from the mainland. This Caucasian young man's plan is to live in "the beach" and perhaps work as a woofer Parents are pretty worried. What would your advice be as a local resident?

jdo
jdo
The person is 18... He/she can do as he/she pleases. My advice would be to help the 18 year old do some research and choose a WWOOFER farm before they leave and make sure they have some money in their pocket and make sure the parent has denero for a ticket back home when the novelty wears off. It most likely will. If it doesn't, maybe this person was destined to be a Jack Keroac. Aloha
I'd say go for it. It *will* be a big lesson in reality, but IMO a lot less of a concern than moving on his own to some big city.

Living the good life - off the grid in Puna
Living the good life - off the grid in Puna
Next stop... heavy drug abuse, right after they stop in Hilo to claim their shiny new EBT card.
Just another malihini meltdown eventually.

Every day, 7 kamaaina-wannabes move to this island, 5 malahini meltdowns move off. Day in, day out, been that way for decades.

Next stop, Seaview Castleblock house, then either squatting, jail, hospital or morgue. The lucky ones get enough money from the family for airfare back to whatever hell hole they came from before they are too far gone. Those that don't, you can see in Kona during the day, coming out at night in Hilo, with their stolen shopping carts full of rubbish, strung out, not really sane anymore. Some find out about the activist/study gigs and find ways to siphon off tax dollars without paying taxes.

Yep, tell him to go for it.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Living on the beach ain't gonna happen. WWOOFing it might work out, but would likely wear a little thin after a while. TazmanianRhonda's advice is good. If he has the money saved for a return flight home, he should put it in trust with his parents so they can buy a ticket when the time comes. Hopefully his head is screwed on right and he doesn't become just another ice head.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Pahoated,

What "Seaview Castleblock house" are you referring to?

If it is the castle type house at the entrance to Seaview. that has nothing to do with my Castleblock company and I would ask you to correct your misstatement.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I'd say TazmanianRhonda has the best advice to ensure a good outcome, and pahoated shares the worst-case scenario.

If you actually want to discourage the person from coming here, find out what scares them and show them evidence of that. Afraid of sharks? being drowned? living in squalor? we got that.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
Sounds like the kid is talking pipe dreams to get attention. I say do nothing and so will he.
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

Next stop, Seaview Castleblock house

Castleblock is an honest local company with a solid product.

The "Seaview Castle" is a nightmare shanty that will be torn down shortly.

I'm not sure how anyone would confuse the two, but when it comes to you Ted, nothing is surprising anymore!