Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damn TMT
The Akamai Workforce Initiative, a local program dedicated to advancing Hawai‘i college students into science and technology careers, has accepted 30 students into its 2016 summer internship program.

With lead funding from the Thirty Meter Telescope, the Akamai Internship Program provides community college students and undergraduates with summer projects at observatories and other high tech companies in Hawai‘i.

http://bigislandnow.com/2016/06/10/30-st...p-program/
What a shame, 30 kids who won't learn the benefits of rolling boulders across a path their ancestors weren't allowed to access.

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
Shame???

The tmt is doing what the other 12 observatories atop maunakea could have been doing for decades,jmo.

Many positive things can come from rolling boulders or learning how to respect even the rocks,jmo.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/articl...10337.html

Wasn't there another large ahu lele shrine vandalized or taken down atop the summit of maunakea several years back? If so, was it ever rebuilt?

Many positive things can come from rolling boulders or learning how to respect even the rocks,jmo.

No disrespect gypsy, but honestly, did your son include rolling boulders on his application to Princeton? Do you think it would have helped?

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"Shame???"

"The tmt is doing what the other 12 observatories atop maunakea could have been doing for decades"

The other observatories have been involved in several projects to educate children and locals about astronomy and science for decades - at their expense, not yours. You choose to ignore that because it doesn't suit your arguments. Shame.

"Many positive things can come from rolling boulders or learning how to respect even the rocks"

Please name some of the positive things that come from throwing or rolling rocks that block access on a public road and endanger those who might have an emergency and need to get to sea level quickly? Please be specific although I don't hold out a lot of hope there.
Gypsy, are you even aware of how inane and irrational most of your comments are to the majority of the population? Whenever you preach to the choir there will be people who cheer you on but that doesn't mean you are swaying public sentiment. Quite the contrary in fact.
Kids get the opportunity to learn about science, math and generally learn about our place in the Universe. On the other hand, Gypsy is proud a son of his is going to Princeton while complaining others are over-educated, and also thinks this is a good thing:

http://mauinow.com/files/2016/05/rocks-o...ess-Rd.jpg

That's one messed up mind.
What I seem to wonder at times, what does his Princeton bound son think about his Fathers opinions? Or is that the driving force behind his education dreams?

Community begins with Aloha
Welcome back from your vacation tomk.
This one messed up mind is only a product of my lower puna environment. Not once did my son or any of my other kids in school(pahoa) have someone from the observatories atop maunakea come to their school or class to share Anything. Instead, my son did have a visit from former mayor Harry Kim and Bob Patricci in one of his last classes at pahoa high. For some reason I don't think they were talking about astronomy?

To answer your question Tomk.
Rocks(especially big ones) can help some build character and self balance, which I find hard to teach, not just walls. They can be used for many positive things besides reblocking access to the unbalanced(the classroom Overeducated), or to remind some what Kapu or respect really meant in Hawaii before they had arrived.
There are no Easy jobs or money when rolling, throwing, or laying rocks. I teach my kids that anything in life Worth having, is certainly worth working for.
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Shame???

The tmt is doing what the other 12 observatories atop maunakea could have been doing for decades,jmo.

The Akamai Workforce Intiative existed way before they even considered Mauna Kea for the Thirty Meter Telescope. The other astronomical facilties on Mauna Kea are participating in this program. My brother was selected way back in 2005.

https://akamaihawaii.org/internships/big...b/2005.php