Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PUEO President Shares Vision for Hawaii Youth
Keahi Warfield has become a leading figure voicing support for the Thirty Meter Telescope, bringing a local perspective on the potential benefits of the $1.4 billion project.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2016/0...es-vision/
Imua e na poki'i! Mahalo, Eric1600, for this link, and your continued support of TMT, and the rights of our people.

As we learn who this young kane is..."Leading figure" as the voice of the PUEO group, is a tall order. There is the perception of ( via your post) what his charge has "become". Fortunately, he has guidance from several "old timers" who will train this young man to respectfully state his position (for those he speaks for).

I had the opportunity to watch his demeanor while speaking at the last hearing. He is a commanding presence, (very tall and trying to be dignified, no doubt), however, does not look into your maka (eyes) when speaking. Holding such a big presence, (physical stature) and being the "leading figure voicing support..." , this young man does not speak for all of us. He is, perhaps, worthy of his current position(s), however, needs a little polish.

The mission is sound, the opinions are valued, the vision (that we all have) is what we strive for. When we speak of (fight for) the keiki, let us not forget our Kupuna, who also taught us the basics. In order to have vision, you must remember where you come from, what you want to pass on, and set aside your ego. If we are to be "messengers" (which is my personal charge), humility and grace is always required. I trust this young man will learn these simple requirements, before forging on. Wishing him the best, of course, in his quest.

Sure hope his eye contact and body language improves over the course of his endeavor. Mahalo again for your support of this entire process.

JMO, as usual. Aloha ahiahi, all.

Try wait Opihikao, I know you not, but don't judge this book by its cover. He is the real deal and a true leader. Many years already know him. ... Give him a sec. cause diving into unknown waters causes everyone to be cautious at first.
aloha,
pog
quote:
Originally posted by pog

Try wait Opihikao, I know you not, but don't judge this book by its cover. He is the real deal and a true leader. Many years already know him. ... Give him a sec. cause diving into unknown waters causes everyone to be cautious at first.
aloha,
pog

[:0] Pog! So good to "see" you! Aloha mai. Oh, please, don't worry, he has great potential. It seems surface at this time, however, your validation of this young kane's "true leader" status after knowing him for years (you, not I), speaks to his credit.

However, I remain concerned, as never heard of him before this entire debacle. In watching him exercise his "position", I'm just saying he needs polish.

Times are very trying, and some have the "ike", of which you (and others here) have. When one "dives into unknown waters", let us throw a life jacket, if needed. No problem, he gets a "New York second", at your request.

SO happy to "see" you, pog. Aloha ahiahi.

JMO.

P.S. Did you see my "kahea" to you...lol???!?!? Aloha no.
Keahi has been working with kids and a figure in the community for a while now. As a sample here he is at 0:45 leading the awa ceremony for the departing Hokulea:

http://www.hokulea.com/video-awa-ceremon...ne-9-2013/

There is another video of him leading the chants with the kids, but I can't find it. And he is in the process of making the sailing canoe at Palekai (radio bay) operational again for teaching kids of the Big Island. His program Rise 21 Century is a testimony to his dedication and show where his heart is. http://www.risereveals.com/

He's a reluctant leader and is not "polished" but he is courageous and truly wants what is best for the kids and to help heal the divide in the community. It has been a big disappointment for him to see kids he teaches become anti-science because of the hostility in the community towards the TMT. He spent a lot of his life around Mauna Kea and has a lot of respect for everyone's point of view. There is a reason why the board of PUEO chose him as the spokesperson.

Personally I've spent a lot of time in small poor communities around the world and I support the TMT because it is an amazing opportunity for Hawaii and a new deal for everyone. And while the cultural issues around Mauna Kea are complicated, I believe what Keahi and others are expressing is a voice that needs to be heard. If all he lacks in your eyes is polish, then I have hope that his message will be heard.

P.S. I'm also a huge fan of science and astronomy. People like Carl Sagan and the Hubble Telescope changed my life for the better.
Keahi is naturally introverted. that is not hard to see. Expecting him to be any different will lead to disappointment.
Keahi has been working with the youth in his Hawaiian community for years. He's working on his PhD, been conducting classes in CAD and canoe design with Hwn youth at the DocHill place in Keaukaha for a couple of years now, is head coach for one of the canoe clubs (I think Keaukaha but not sure), all while raising a young family. Don't know how much more he could be involved.
At least people are being honest that they care more about his appearance than about his message.
quote:
Originally posted by MarkP

At least people are being honest that they care more about his appearance than about his message.

There will always be people that don't want to hear a message, no matter what you say even if you partially agree with them. So if the only fault they find is ascetical then that's about the best you can hope for.
quote:
Originally posted by MarkP

Aloha kakahiaka, all. If, MarkP, this was in response to my post, apparently I was not clear enough. E kala mai. It has nothing to do with his "appearance", it has to do with delivery of "the message".

Yes, we all (in our ohana, for generations) have contributed to the education of our keiki (and taking care of our kupuna). We all balance our kuleana when taking on additional responsibilities, especially when it is a "high profile" leadership role.

Please don't miscontrue what my point was, and I hope this clears it up. As stated, he has great potential.

JMO.