Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Island getting left out of States Solar plan
So the State of Hawaii is planning a large solar project and it appears the Big Island is going to be left out of it.

...."This is one of the largest, if not the largest, state government solar initiatives in the nation,"....targeted for solar are in Honolulu and Kalaeloa on Oahu; Kahului, Maui; and Lihue, Kauai; as well as Molokai and Lanai airports; Honolulu and Nawiliwili harbors;

As many of you know... Many parts of Puna could use this State provided solar power.

I wonder why the Big Island is being left out of this plan? [Sad!]

-----------------
Coming home soon!
That is HORRIBLE! I can't believe of all the islands the BIG Island is being left out.

Thanks for the info. Damon! Do you think this might be something that can be changed if the right amount of people complain?
quote:
Originally posted by Merd
Do you think this might be something that can be changed if the right amount of people complain?

The squeeky wheel get's the oil[^]

-----------------
Coming home soon!
Regardless of the politics, from a practical standpoint I was under the impression that the Waimea/Waikoloa/Western Kohala areas were the sunniest, driest part of the entire state. You'd think that that kind of climate would be bring the most success based on a return for investment on solar power.

How do I know?
Aloha! ;-)
The State of Hawaii should seriously consider a ban on the importation of incandescent light bulbs as well. If the entire State were 'forced" to switch to either compact flourecent or LED the impact woud be substantial. Since everything is shipped in the ban would be easy to enforce.
If you read the article, the project is being implemented by the Department of Transportation Airports Division, with additional limited involvement by the Highways Division. Solar arrays are being installed on DOT owned facilities. I would guess the Big Island is not being included as part of this project since neither of the airports is ideal- Hilo due to rain, and Kona due to the architecture of the airport, in that it is made up of individual small rooftops, which would preclude a cost-effective system.
quote:
Originally posted by topograph
.....and Kona due to the architecture of the airport, in that it is made up of individual small rooftops, which would preclude a cost-effective system.

Does the County own the Kona Airport or does the State? I thought I read somewhere recently that Kona Airport is undergoing major changes.

It has taken more than 35 years, but Hawaii County is about to take ownership of the entire old Kona Airport.
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/arti...ocal04.txt

-----------------
Coming home soon!
The OLD Kona Airport is a park being turned over to the County. The current Kona Airport is in the middle of revising their master plan, so at the typical rate of progress, any "major changes" are years away. Hopefully by then this solar experiment will have proved successful, and they can incorporate solar power on any new buildings they design.
Thanks for the clarification

-----------------
Coming home soon!
The Advertiser now has a breaking story on this.

Still no word on why the Big Island isn't involved with the other 6 islands?

...The project, which would span six islands, could generate as much as 34 megawatts of electrical power and would likely be among the largest state-backed photovoltaic projects in the country.

-----------------
Coming home soon!