Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacement Batteries for UPS?
While in town today someone told me that they thought someone in Hilo, or somewhere on the island, sold replacement batteries for computer UPS battery backup power supplies.
Anyone know if this is true?
if so, who and where?
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
I believe most of the UPS batteries are the same form factor. NAPA in Hilo sells these. From the napaonline.com website they show they have it in-stock. The part number there is: ES712. Looks like it is the same part # at O'Reilly's too though it doesn't say it is in-stock. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SSBL/ES712.oap?ck=Search_es712_-1_3580&keyword=es712

I've replaced a few of these and these were the part numbers I used.
Interstate Batteries in Hilo?
quote:
Originally posted by 1voyager1

While in town today someone told me that they thought someone in Hilo, or somewhere on the island, sold replacement batteries for computer UPS battery backup power supplies.
Anyone know if this is true?
if so, who and where?

Not on the island but lowest price. Mine died a just a month ago. This does not list as a UPS battery backup but I zeroed in on the type, cross referenced through the net then shopped lowest price and this is it. Was $15 delivered. quick shipping too.

12V-7-2Ah-8Ah-Sealed-Lead-Acid-SLA-Battery-for-SEA-DOO-ZS06-EVX1272F2

Listed for a seado but it's just a target ad, it's surprising to learn how many different things these batteries are used in. Plus, depending on which item the target ad is for, they'll (nearly everybody in retail on the net) want higher prices, all for the exact same battery. Mine 'Cyber power, 550VA' might be a different brand than yours, higher or lower battery size but if you discover which sized battery you'll need first, you'll save greatly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121097390485?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
So, to help you further, have you opened up the compartment and gotten numbers off the batteries? What is the make/model of your UPS? Yours may very well not use the battery referenced above. The last APC unit I worked with had a special connector - probably just had a couple of AGM batteries inside, but it was easiest to buy the right assembly.

...we are everywhere...
...we are everywhere...
Just FYI, there are some tutorials online for hooking up bigger deep-cycle batteries to your UPS, for longer run time and cheaper $/watt hours.
I had one hooked up to a marine battery and it worked just fine. Would run for hours rather than minutes like the UPS battery. The UPS unit did eventually die, though I don't know if it was because of my hack job. I have read that the heat sinks (or something) in cheap UPS inverters aren't designed to run at full draw for more than about 20 minutes or so and when you run it for hours with a beefed up battery they overheat and die.
I've had the best luck with APC over all other brands.

Any APC under about 650VA has a single 12V battery.

AGM batteries (available at some PV supply, also used for electric wheelchairs) have the same charge/discharge characteristics as the stock gel cells and work perfectly although they won't fit in the case...
This is beginning to get complicated.
I have 3 different APC UPS's, a 350 VA, a 600 VA and the new one an 800VA.
The 600 VA needs the battery replaced now.
The 350 VA will probably be needing its battery replaced in the near future.
As I look through APC's website, I'm finding different specs [sizes, V-A-H, etc] on the batteries for each of the three UPS's.
I'll need to open all three of them up, measure the battery size and look for other identifying markings for each of them.

But, I'm going to cut down weed trees, buck them up, and mow lawn today.
I'll worry about this tomorrow or later as convenient.
Thanks for the input, folks.
I'll come back to this thread as I get more info.

EDIT:
My understanding is that the UPS's and their batteries cannot be shipped from the mainland [Amazon and such] because of air shipment restrictions.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
"....because of air shipment restrictions."

I don't know about the restrictions other than Amazon won't ship them. But eBay sellers do.