Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mauna Loa Observatory - Another CO2 Record
Measurements of CO2 at Mauna Loa Observatory reached the highest ever recorded last week: 403.96 ppm. CO2 levels continue to increase, as do temperatures around the planet:

On the week beginning July 17, 2016, the Mauna Loa Observatory measured an average atmospheric CO#8322; level of 403.39 parts per million. A year ago this week, CO#8322; levels stood at 400.96 ppm. This week in 2006, the Observatory measured levels at 381.77 ppm.

Thermometers in both Iraq and Kuwait recorded land temperatures of roughly 54 degrees Celsius (129 degrees Fahrenheit) last week. If confirmed, it would be ... the hottest land temperature ever recorded on Earth.

June 2016 was the hottest June ever recorded.

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archi...ed/493436/

The word disaster comes from the Latin compound of dis-, or away, without, and astro, star or planet; literally, without a star. -Rebecca Solnit (so not building the TMT would literally be a disaster, based on the word's derivation)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
We might just be on the brink of a mass extinction...ours

If it keeps getting hotter every year... how long can we go before these areas are unlivable and where are they going to go.
The highest reliably recorded temperature on Earth is still at Death Valley, but is instead 53.9 °C (129 °F) recorded five times: 20 July 1960, 18 July 1998, 20 July 2005, 7 July 2007, and 30 June 2013.
highest reliably recorded temperature on Earth is still at Death Valley, but is instead 53.9 °C

..but it's dry heat...

The moon kind of surprises me sometimes. I’ll be out at night and I’ll see a nice moon, and say, “Hey, that looks good.” Then I’ll say, “Oh sh-t, I went up there one time!” Kind of surprises me. It’s like there are two Moons, you know—the one that’s usually around, and then that one. - Michael Collins, Apollo 11 astronaut
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by alaskyn66

If it keeps getting hotter every year... how long can we go before these areas are unlivable and where are they going to go.

Move to other areas. The pendulum of climate change swings from one extreme to the other. Not too long ago, there was a sheet of ice over much of N. America. You can still see the scrape mark left behind on exposed granite patches in Central Park, NYC, NY. Wooly Mammoths and Sabre Tooth Tigers roamed So. Cal. Then it swung the other way, and the ice receded. Soon (in geologic terms), it will swing back to ice age. There is nothing that can be done to stop it or slow it. You can only adjust, and mankind has, by and large. There have been several cases of frozen Mammoths being found, thawed out, cooked to a nice medium rare, and served at parties.
Basic problem: once you take carbon out from deep within the earth and put it in the atmosphere, it takes millions of years to put it back. Short term, the only effective way to alleviate it (besides stop burning fossil fuels, obviously) is to pull it out the atmosphere with denser, taller vegetation (as opposed to hacking down our rainforests).

Just a thought, unsubstantiated by any articles or research...

You know all these Albezia trees we keep killing? They HAVE to soak up a lot of carbon out of our atmosphere. I mean, just LOOK at them...they are ten times the size of the trees they are displacing. Granted, covering our little islands (which is all but inevitable) won't have much effect globally, but these trees are spreading throughout the tropics. Maybe that's a GOOD thing?
quote:
Originally posted by alaskyn66

Chill out man, global warming is just a hoax.
Maybe a water selling industry is the golden egg for hawaii.. sell it by the tanker full to west coast.

I think they ran that pony 'round the corral' up in alaska a few years ago. Build a water pipeline to Calif.. cost to much money they said.

I bet Cali wishes they had it now....
During the Permian/Triassic mass extinction event, runaway global warming cooked the oceans into anoxic graveyards and 95% of all species on earth went extinct.

And that was BEFORE humans were around to transport countless gigatons of buried carbon into the atmosphere. During the Permian/Triassic event, the coal and oil from the earlier Carboniferous geologic epoch were still buried.

Get ready to rumble and be glad you are not young.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
Not to throw water on this fire, but to get something as basic as the name of a park as wrong as he did, I wonder just how good his other pronouncements are.
He made reference to "Big Sur National Park".
There is no such place.
There is a Big Sur STATE Park.
That error is on par with calling Texas Alaska.
[There, that aught'a start a totally new and different fire.]
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.