Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap grinds?
Can I get some input on some inexpensive places with good food around the island? I will be spending my first two weeks there doing alot of driving all over the island, so if anyone has any favorite little spots to grab a bite at a reasonable price, please let me know what their names are so I can google map them ahead of time.
Mahalo,
Mark

Mark

If you are up around Laupahoehoe, visit the 50's Cafe on old Hwy. Great atmosphere, food OK - the specials are home cooked as are the pies (I think I've eaten more pie there this past year than in previous 5 years) - the people are fabulous. Basic breakfast 2 eggs, rice, meat for $3.95. Coffee is another buck or so but all you can drink. My wife and I breakfast there 5 or 6 days of the week for about $15 including tax and tip. We also have a frequent diner card. Hours are 7-7 Tues -Sat, 8-2 on Sun. Closed Monday. Been several write ups in Hilo paper.
We had dinner there tonight.

David

Ninole Resident

Edited by - David M on 01/19/2006 01:15:29
Ninole Resident
Some of the places we have been to on the East side and would recommend for reasonably priced meals, rather home cooked style not resort style if you know what I mean Smile! I like consistency in Restaurants. I want food the proper temperature, well prepared, and consistent quality, if it isn't as decent as I do at home then I'm disappointed.

Hilo - Ken's House of Pancakes
Uncle Billy's Sunday buffet 7-11AM
87 Banyan Dr

Pahoe - Black Rock Cafe, Main St

Mountain View Dan DeLuz Wood Gallery and Kaffee Shop Hwy 11 mile marker 12, 17-4003 Ahuahu Place

Pahala - Tex's Drive-In Restaurant
a Malasada is a must have!
Honokaa - Tex's Drive-In Restaurant

Good luck and let us know what you find fun and interesting. Mella L

mella l

Edited by - mella l on 01/14/2006 12:25:46
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Of all places you wouldn't think of the Mall as having any bargains but here's one.
For Great Fish & Chips go to Hot Dog on a stick and order the Fish & fried zuchinni plate for $6 you can feed 2 people easy and yummy.

Hi Lee which mall?

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I think that a small secret is the Hawaiian food vendor at the food court at the Walmart shopping center in Hilo - "Island Fusion". Very tasty. No ambiance. Get it to go.

Edited by - Rob Tucker on 02/17/2006 19:33:01
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Mahalo to all for the info!

Its a shameful secret, but I am totally addicted to cheeseburgers at Verna's.

<hangs head in shame>

But they are SOOOOOO good.

John Dirgo, RA, ABR, e-PRO
RE/MAX Properties
808-987-9243 cell
John Dirgo, R, PB, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
http://www.bigislandvacationrentals.com
http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com
The Kalapana Verna's has aewsome fried chicken & milkshakes!! Very cheap. And the only place to eat for a long ways!!

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
We went to Kalbi Express in the Wal-Mart Shopping Center in Hilo for the first time today, and were very satisfied. A bowl of soup is enough in itself for lunch or a small dinner, and the BBQ chicken is very good. A combination platter with 2 meats, 4 vegetables, and 3 scoops of rice is as little as $6 to $8, depending on entree choices.

Howard