Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - DoubleTree - News
The remodeling and branding of the old Naniloa Hotel has made mainland news. Sounds like late October for the rebranding efforts to be completed.

Yahoo link:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/0b3bc282-53...o-woo.html

LA Times link:
http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-t...story.html

"Prices for standard rooms start at $139 weekdays and $159 weekends..."

Interestingly, the article states an opening of "late October", but the hotel website will only let you book dates starting Jan 1st. Maybe they are having a "soft opening" in October/November? I'm going to call tomorrow to find out.

We are going to be on island for 10 days through Thanksgiving. We're spending 3 days (turkey day) in Kona, but a few days before and a few after on the East side. We are thinking VRBO in Hamakua area a few nights and VRBO Kapoho Vacationland a few nights, but wouldn't mind trying this place a night or two.
They are open now ..but using limited rooms.if they are booked ... the website might use soft language to say that they don't have any rooms.

Last week they hauled the mattresses over from the storage yard.they should be close to being done.. now it's just a matter of final touch ups.. and fumigating the cockroaches out of the upper floors.they are actually on schedule.. unlike the county.. ( clears thoat..)

..Bad boys,Bad boys what we gonna do...let ya out on bail for a buck or two...
Thought I'd try an experiment. I tried booking the cheapest room at both the Naniloa and the Hilo Hawaiin for three nights, check-in Feb 6, check-out Feb 9th, i.e., a three-night stay choosing the cheapest rooms. These are weekdays, Monday through Wednesday night.

I used AAA rates for the Naniloa. The total cost was $448 including taxes.

The Hilo Hawaiian offered a challenge. The cheapest rate was $142 per night which would have ended up with a total charge, including taxes, roughly the same as the Naniloa. However, while going through the booking process, it soon became clear I had to be an airline employee to get that rate. That wasn't mentioned when looking at the rates and only became obvious once I clicked on the $142 rate I chose.

So I tried the Kamaaina rate. That cost $10 more per night and a total cost of $515, i.e., roughly $65 more than the Naniloa.

Although the Hilo Hawaiian rooms are just fine and clean, they are quite basic and don't have amenities I'd expect at a cheap Holiday Inn hotel on the mainland (no microwave for instance, and maid service ending at 2 pm). The bar where the only draft beer is Coors Light is also a bit of a turn-off.

I stay at Hilton brand hotels often and although they're not always wonderful, the standards are decent. I've stayed at a DoubleTree once and it was very nice.

I think I know where my business will go if the Naniloa renovation turns out well.

ETA: The Hilo Hawaiian doesn't offer "free" wifi, it's about $10 per day although other options are available for longer stays. The Naniloa is saying wifi will be "free".
Don't forget the free warm cookie... Do they still offer it? Big Grin Stayed at Double Tree lot's of times on the mainland, not bad. Will be a welcome change for hilo I think. We walk banyan drive sometimes, I keep waiting for the sign to change.
"Don't forget the free warm cookie... Do they still offer it? Big Grin"

They do!
Alrighty - an update. I called and there was a bit of confusion when I asked "I'd like to make reservations for the Naniloa Doubletree". When I was transferred to reservations the lady said no, this is the Hilo Naniloa, you have to call xxx-xxx-xxxx for Naniloa Doubletree. Ok, called the number she gave me and it went right back to the lady who transferred me to reservations the first time.

We had a little laugh (very nice people) and from what I could surmise, either the name hasn't officially changed or the reservation clerk hasn't been informed yet. Anywho, I asked about making a reservation in November and they said "sure!, what dates?". For a Wed through Tuesday stay it was $147/night, Bay View. This was the Sr rate, saving $2 per night. I asked about construction and she said it was supposed to be done early November and that the bay view rooms were already done.

So there you have it. They are taking reservations, construction is happening but should wrap up by early November and bay view regular rates are $149/night. Oh, and nice bonus: each guest gets 1 free round of golf at the nine hole course across the street each day plus the use of loaner clubs. We weren't going to play golf because a round is pretty expensive over there, plus the cost of bringing our clubs. However, if we choose the Naniloa we will definitely play.
Hilo Hawaiian Hotel Wai'oli Lounge bar has upgraded and now offers 5 micro beers on tap (no longer just Coors Light).

---
---
I might be out of line here. And like hawaiiTed said they have upgraded.. but shouldn't you highlight local brewery's instead of national brands?

..Bad boys,Bad boys what we gonna do...let ya out on bail for a buck or two...
http://www.queenscourtrestaurant.com/beer

They are local brews... Tho, bigisland white mountain porter for 10 bucks is bit steep, I wonder, they do have a house brew for 5 bucks. doesn't seem to bad, might have to stop by.