Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fresh curry leaves
Anyone know if there's a place that sells fresh curry leaves in Puna or Hilo?
Garden exchange often has plants. They grow about 8 feet tall and easy to get fresh leaves, can also use the flowers/berries. Also try the plant sale on 14th in HPP. Iris and Sean often have curry leaf bushes for sale.

I love to cook Indian food with fresh curry leaves. Tasty, nothing to do with curry powder (tumeric).
I grow it. I'll give you some Tom.
Let me know how and I'll contact you.
Also the main ingredient in curry powder isn't curry leaves and isn't turmeric either. Go figure.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton...ecipe.html
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

Let me know how and I'll contact you.
Also the main ingredient in curry powder isn't curry leaves and isn't turmeric either. Go figure.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton...ecipe.html

I was going to say that my curry recipes have turmeric as the biggest component, then I looked at your linked recipe and found that it too had turmeric as the biggest component by far (1/4 cup). I don't even know what curry leaves are.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
my bad it is the main ingredient there. Was looking at another site where it wasn't. Guess it varies.
Thanks for the suggestions and offers, everyone. The request was actually for my neighbor who wanted to cook an Indian curry using a recipe in Kris Dhillon's book "The New Curry Secret" (Parsi Lamb Curry) which requires curry leaves, and yes, Amrita and ElysianWort are correct that curry powder does not come from curry leaves!

Anyway, I suggested to her yesterday to pop by Kamana Kitchen in Hilo and ask them where they get their curry leaves although thought I'd double the chances by asking here.

Today she visited Kamana, asked them where they got their leaves, and they actually gave her a branch of fresh curry leaves! And now I get to taste the dish tomorrow!

Thanks again, everyone.

(Edited to fix grammar)
I was checking out some plants someone was selling at the stables swap meet in Hawaiian shores last month. I thought it would be fragrant like lime leaves, but it reminded me more of a creosote bush smell. Interesting nonetheless.. hope it tastes good.
Yes, they provide a unique (and delicious!) taste. I can't think of anything you could use as a substitute.