Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing Kona Resort rates for residents
Called a few resorts on the Kona side this morning trying to get a few room rates to compare, I was shocked by the higher nightly prices. The Sheraton gave room rates of $229 a night this did include all taxes and fee's. The Hilton Waikaloa was $237 a night. King Kam gave rates this morning of $164 a night, this did include taxes,fees and parking.

Just a few years ago we use to stay occasionally at the King Kam for $75 a night, now it has more than doubled in price. We stayed at the Sheraton a couple years back and the kids enjoyed their water slide for only $140 a night. So just wondering why the prices are higher these days for Island residents than just a few years ago? Are these higher prices discouraging Local's from staying at these resorts?

This article offers a few tips about some possible fees.

http://beatofhawaii.com/outrageous-fees-...void-them/
September prices are the lowest. Rates then increase until we reach high season starting around December 15th. To compare prices from one year to the next you need to factor in the time of year that you book, as well as the day of the week, as weekends are also higher.

I saw the tracks immediately - they swirled back & forth across the shuffled sand of the path. They seemed the design of indecision, but I am not sure. Mary Oliver
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Are these higher prices discouraging Local's from staying at these resorts?

Judging by the cost of living, us "locals" are staying in a resort all the time.
us "locals" are staying in a resort all the time.

Yes, a non-inclusive resort called Big Island. Pay your admission, then daily, monthly, quarterly, and yearly fees and taxes. Everything else is ala carte.

I saw the tracks immediately - they swirled back & forth across the shuffled sand of the path. They seemed the design of indecision, but I am not sure. Mary Oliver
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
kalakoa: Yup.
HOTPE: Yup #2.
The Waikaloa Hilton had told us a few years ago that around my birthday (Nov. 1st) is a slow time so rates should be lower. We go over maybe every other year or so, and try not to worry about the rate. The restaurants there however are crazy expensive, so we go somewhere else. There is a food court at the mall on the right side as you leave the Hilton with a food court and there is a Lemon Grass there not related to the one in Keaau. Reasonable prices and the food is good too. There are some condos in Keahou that we've stayed at a couple of times that are very impressive. My wife says they are more like $150 a night. She thinks the place is called the Castle at Keahou. Both places were right on the water with huge lenai's and million dollar views. Both were second story and you had a long stairway right at the entrance doorways. 4-5 pools.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Kona Seaside Hotel has kama'aina rates at $114/night for a random November date I plugged into their reservation search.

http://www.konaseasidehotel.com/special-offers/

We have stayed there. It's a dated hotel but the rooms were clean and lots of places you can walk to for dining.
Hapuna Beach Prince is $159 for Kama'aina right now.

https://www.princeresortshawaii.com/hapu...ina-offers

Have a Happy Birthday tomorrow Jon 'birdmove'.
We just drive over to a resort..use the facilities..... and drive home at the end of the day. Cost: $20.00 for gas [8D]
The Hapuna beach resort add on $30 a day resort fee and $25 a day parking fee.

jrw
jrw