Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Health insurance on this island
While this is not specifically tied to Puna, I want o ask a simple question. My wife is healthy and in her early 60's. Until she qualifies for Medicare she is paying $660 per month to HMSA. Where are you folks getting your coverage? $660 per month seems a bit high.
I won't bore you with my details but based on what I'm paying you're getting a steal of a deal.
I pay $563, HMSA HMO, so your wife's rate sounds about right.
If she has a policy you can live with, it might be good to hold on to it for the time being. With changes in the administration, and a Republicam majority in both houses of Congress, health care could be in for some unwelcome reductions in coverage over the next year. Hopefully there will be some provisions to keep the policy you have, as when the Affordable Care Act was implemented.

“Rational people know what to expect. Irrational people know what to demand.” Last Aphorisms
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"health care could be in for some unwelcome reductions in coverage over the next year."

The changes are already starting
The House , this week, passed the "21st Century Cure Bill"
Although the goal is admirable, helping to find cures....... it places billions of taxpayer money in the hands of our giant pharmaceutical companies.
Per The Hill 11/25
"The new spending is paid for in part through cutting $3.5 billion from ObamaCare’s Prevention and Public Health Fund, a cut that had drawn some resistance from Democrats.
The measure also raises some money by selling oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve."

Per Huffington Post , 11/29 , additional sources of funds will be cuts to Medicaid and Medicare payments made to the States.

So what will these cuts to Obamacare do to our
residents here in Puna? And what about our residents who are already relying on the Medicare and Medicaid they currently receive?

Prior to Medicare, my rate was approx. what you are quoting(Peter) for your wife's premium. Our kids pays $600.00 a month for their teenage son. It's all so outrageous.
So what will these cuts to Obamacare do to our residents here in Puna?

We are free to create our own healthcare system; it's right there in the ACA.

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Easterling

While this is not specifically tied to Puna, I want o ask a simple question. My wife is healthy and in her early 60's. Until she qualifies for Medicare she is paying $660 per month to HMSA. Where are you folks getting your coverage? $660 per month seems a bit high.

This is how Obamacare works People who have money pay higher premiums to pay for those who don't have money to pay for healthcare.

I am lucky because I belong to a group of retired airline employees who formed our own group to negotiate with the insurance companies .
I will be taking the penalty next year.
The Mexican plan is very popular.
Show up at the emergency room, a couple of weeks in the hospital.
Throw the bill in the trash.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
"This is how Obamacare works People who have money pay higher premiums to pay for those who don't have money to pay for healthcare."

People who are gainfully employed pay more, yes. But our kids, after paying outrageous healthcare premiums for themselves and their children would most likely disagree with the "people who have money" part of your statement Smile
People who have money pay higher premiums to pay for those who don't have money to pay for healthcare.

Walk into the Bay Clinic or the hospital emergency room sometime. You get what you pay for.

Hospitals, every hospital in America, should have a free clinic adjacent to the emergency room. If someone without health insurance walks in and they do not have an emergency situation that needs immediate attention, they would be asked to sit in the free clinic waiting room. For as long as necessary.

Taxpayers would then be billed for the uninsured person's clinic visit not an emergency room visit, and it would cost us about 10 times less every time it occurred.

“There's no such thing, unfortunately, anymore as facts." Trump spokeswoman Scottie Hughes
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves