Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highway 11 construction
Does anyone know what they are working on in the median between Hilo and Keaau? Thought it might be culverts but wasn't sure...
I'm dreaming of a 3rd lane. Just like the ones I used to know.
I think it has something to do with extending the turn left lanes at some of the intersections. Pretty sure it's not a whole new lane, or we would have heard more about it.
In my ba humbug opinion all of the bull dozing of the trees, now this mess is a huge waste of money, must have nothing else of importance to do. I'd be interested to know how many millions of dollars this project is costing us. I preferred the forested highway division the way it used to be before this indulgence in folly. Happy Holidays none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mco_86YPpU
I would believe it has something to do with extended turn lanes since they seem to have finally started on those extensions.

However, I have never seen such an incompetent endeavor to clear a small swath of trees. Aren't they approaching 2 years now?
It could be just a union thing thing. Keep people working. They've been playing with that section for four years.if it was meant to be something it would have been long ago.

As an after thought... why don't they make it another soccer field.. they seem to think we need one every half mile.
Pretty sure it's not a whole new lane, or we would have heard more about it.

Since when does HDOT bother to inform us plebes about their long-term intent?

I believe it will be a third lane, but is currently disguised as a shoulder project, "for the safety".

extended turn lanes

For whose benefit? Private landowners along the highway? (clicky-click-click) Oh, look! It's all either State (and their lessees) or Shipman! What an amazing coincidence!
Amrita etc., you dont know those trees, can you name the species they removed??? they were all extremely invasive except maybe 5% Ohia that they kept, but are strangled by Schefflera and Banyon so are sickly now... they needed to go! that whole area is BAD! you can go miles there and not see more than a dozen native trees.. Its all thick and heavily invasive, and still is on the sides of the hwy.. maybe they just trying to fix a prob most here ignore... curb appeal kine ya

also clearing out brush pigs often lived in, and homeless too... also for a clear view of opposite traffic, etc. etc.

heres the answer... when they are done youll see what it is..... get some sleep now, aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
I thought they were clearing and flattening the area to make it easier to mow.
They seemed to keep a random selection of trees, including some invasive African Tulip trees. Probably whatever they didn't hit with the dozer.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
quote:
Originally posted by Amrita

In my ba humbug opinion all of the bull dozing of the trees, now this mess is a huge waste of money, must have nothing else of importance to do. I'd be interested to know how many millions of dollars this project is costing us. I preferred the forested highway division the way it used to be before this indulgence in folly. Happy Holidays none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mco_86YPpU

Just another moron tree hugger. I used to run with the Earth First crowd and even I know we have an invasive problem on this island. Coupled with the storms we get, do we really need large trees along the highway merely for your enjoyment?

Speaking of, thank god the infamous "tunnel of trees" by Lava Tree State Park is history. Ya ya, it was purdy but very hazardous as well.