Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"airbnb tax" again
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/news/loca...ried-again

H.B. 1470 ... also limits operators to a single rental property and caps the number of days a property can be rented at 60 days a year. Additionally, the bill adds a surcharge equal to 4 percent of the gross annual or leasing charge. That would be in addition to all other taxes required by state law.

Of course, transient accomodations are already subject to existing rules and laws, which are somehow violated with near-complete impunity. This is exactly why they need additional rules and laws, along with a special extra tax.

Here's the relevant "existing rule" (like it matters, like anyone cares).

HCC 25-4-7: Bed and breakfast establishments.

A bed and breakfast establishment may be permitted in the RS districts and RA, FA, A districts, within the State land use urban district, provided that a use permit is obtained for each such use. A special permit shall also be required for any bed and breakfast establishment located in either the State land use rural or agricultural districts.

Taxes imposed upon taxes... What's ironic is that the majority of the people who aren't paying the transient tax now, are the same people who keep voting in those people who come up with the taxes that they don't like, to begin with. Man, that's confusing!
Taxes imposed upon taxes...
If they don't pay the tax anyway, 0% on top of 0% is still 0%.

voting in those people who come up with the taxes that they don't like
If you can simultaneously vote for taxes you don't like, knowing you won't have to pay them, why not?

"It doesn’t sound like a benefit when I can’t even understand it." -Brannon Kamahana Kealoha at the TMT Hearing
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
If you can simultaneously vote for taxes you don't like, knowing you won't have to pay them, why not?

Then I vote for heavy fines against illegal vacation rentals. Problem solved!
Without dedicated enforcement, your "heavy fines" will rarely be levied.
Without dedicated enforcement, your "heavy fines" will rarely be levied.

Basically what we have now.
Gee; some unintended consequences: Student housing should be paying TAT since the term is less than 180 days, nursing homes for those dying in less than six months, hospitals, who else?
Oh and guess what will happen to all those houses competing with Hilton, etc? They will be bought up by a resort chain and be put back in business, they sure won't end up in low cost housing. Dream on Governor.

The claim that people are not paying the TAT is a fabrication by the resort syndicate to disguise their real motive, because they cannot come out and say bluntly they want to destroy any competition.
Student housing should be paying TAT

I'm sure State exempts its own housing.

what will happen to all those houses competing with Hilton, etc?

Does Hilton have a hotel in Pahoa?

they cannot come out and say bluntly they want to destroy any competition

Sounds like an Oahu problem, so why do we need a statewide rule?
I did a job for the State and was informed "The State is not exempt from GET" Student housing is not all State owned.

"Sounds like an Oahu problem, so why do we need a statewide rule?" City solutions become rural problems.