Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pahoa hazardous waste collection Sunday March 5
Pahoa Recycling & Transfer Station: Sunday, March 5th, 2017, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

What’s Accepted:

Automotive fluids (including antifreeze/engine coolant, used motor oil, gasoline, lubricants)

corrosives (acids & bases)

all types of batteries (alkaline, NiCad, NiMH, lithium, lead-acid and etc.)

unbroken fluorescent lights (tubes & CFLs) and chemical ballasts.

mercury thermometers

unused or outdated prescription medications (no illicit/controlled substances or sharps & needles)

toxic aerosol canisters

household non-empty compressed gas cylinders/canisters (e.g. propane. Commercial quantities (> 5 gallons) or types of gas not accepted. Empty cylinders are not acceptable)

oil-based paint & stains. liquid lead-based paints.

toxic garden supplies (herbicides & pesticides)

household poisons (e.g. insecticides, bug spray, household rodenticide)

photoelectric smoke detectors (must clearly state “photoelectric” (only) type detector. “ionization” or combination with “ionization” type detector not accepted.)

miscellaneous hazardous or toxic household products

What’s NOT Accepted:

Business or Farm (including unwanted farm pesticides) waste are prohibited by law

Government Agency or Non-profit group generated waste are prohibited by law (see Business Resources)

electronic waste (computers, TVs, printers, printer cartridges & etc.), for disposal options see our e-waste page.

latex paint and base (These items will be collected for reuse by Recycle Hawai‘i at the Hilo, Kona & Waimea HHW Events; if the paint is junk/rusty solidify it by letting it completely dry out to a solid and dispose in regular trash.)

fertilizers

farm/agricultural/industrial restricted use pesticides

used cooking oil (solidify or absorb and dispose with trash or see our food/organics waste page – freezing doesn’t count as solidification)

explosives, ammunition or fireworks. Unwanted ammunition can be safely disposed of through the Police Department; call the non-emergency police contact number, 935-3311, and describe the ammunition you need to dispose.

pyrophorics

flares and water reactive materials

biological or infectious waste (Proper Disposal of Home Healthcare Waste & Safe Syringe Disposal Options)

unused sharps/syringes (check online for retailers that offer mail-back options)

controlled substances (e.g. illegal drugs or highly controlled/restricted medications) – for take-back options of unused legal medications go to the DEA National Drug Take-Back Initiative or the Go-to-Guide for Safe Drug Take-Back.

radioactive & shock sensitive materials

fire extinguishers & ionization smoke detectors (clearly states “ionization” or “americium 241” sensor type, not accepted – return to manufacturer) (info sheet)

detergents, household soaps, household/glass/window cleaners

tires

non-hazardous material

Household Hazardous Waste Collections

These collection events are sponsored by the Department of Environmental Management to offer County residential households a safe and environmentally friendly method to dispose of household hazardous waste. These collection events will accept normal household hazardous materials in normal household quantities only. By law commercial or industrial materials or quantities will not be accepted at these events and those customers should contact the companies listed above or in the State of Hawaii Department of Health compiled listing of hazmat companies for proper disposal options.

http://www.hawaiizerowaste.org/recycle/h...ous-waste/
Thanks for the notification....
Will they take DHMO?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
BUMP
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

Will they take DHMO?

Yes, almost daily.
I hope they don't just dump it in the ocean, or even worse, contaminate the water table.
contaminate the water table.

With all of the awareness created by the Protectors about the TMT and waste materials entering the water table, I'm sure every person transporting their toxic materials from home, in their car or truck, will be 100% certain they're in leakproof containers, or at the very least placed on a blue tarp they can shake off or hose off at the water fill station on the way home. You don't want that stuff in your yard.

I'll also be looking for Protectors this afternoon, the ones monitoring Pahoa Transfer to make sure zero waste leaks, spills, or falls onto the ground in the drop off and transfer process. After all, more people are affected by the Pahoa water table than the Mauna Kea summit water table.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

contaminate the water table.

...or at the very least placed on a blue tarp they can shake off or hose off at the water fill station on the way home. You don't want that stuff in your yard.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

Rimshot!
Thanks for the heads up on this terracore. I got there at opening, like many others, but the wait wasn't very long and the process of getting rid of hazardous stuff was very well thought out and went smoothly. Didn't even have to get out of the vehicle.
After clearing off the jungle and over growth on my property, I have found a couple of surprises like a car battery and a DIY car motor oil catchment container that someone had left out and the oil got contaminated with rain water. I needed to get rid of them, so today was the day.

If you also have regular rubbish and recyclables you can drive past the line of vehicles and go straight in. When I left, they put out a traffic controller for that purpose.
For future reference O'Reily's (or whatever that place is that used to be Checkers) and I think Atlas will buy old car batteries from you. I can't remember, I think O'Reily's pays $5.

This was some time ago, if anybody has updated information please correct me.