Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alaska announces daily Kona to San Fran service
Wow... Alaska now pretty much has the west coast covered out of Kona with non-stop's along with 5 other airlines We now also have non stop service from Kona to Tokyo with Hawaiian. And with Island Air competing with Hawaiian out of Kona, interisland fares are very reasonable with student and senior discounts. Meanwhile Hilo has one mainland flight a day and Hawaiian has a monopoly here that makes interisland airfares expensive. Tell me why we still need Hilo Airport?

http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-ne...cisco-kona
As it is hilo is only good for cargo ( fedex) seems a waste of space. Other than the helicopters that load/unload there.
Lots of people would rather pay more for air fare than drive to Kona and pay for parking or do the rental car shuffle to avoid the parking fees. Hilo does have the United flight to LAX, and Island Air keeps saying they are going to return to Hilo. When Island Air recently announced a fleet upgrade and increase in flights, I was hopeful that they would get serious about Hilo service, but it didn't happen.
I would love it if I could fly back to alaska direct in the day time.

I've got job opportunities coming out my ears in alaska. But the commute although doable is not my cup of tea. (Two weeks on two weeks off.)
Hilo does have the United flight to LAX...
-----
...on those crappy 737's. Not fit for 5+ hour full flights.
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

Hilo does have the United flight to LAX...
-----
...on those crappy 737's. Not fit for 5+ hour full flights.

6 foot 3 240 lbs. I hate those flights.
Hawaiian airline gives it to hilo big time on airfare. I just pay San Diego to kona on Hawaiian $230 but when I check to hilo it was $349 both had layover in Honolulu. I need 2 tickets $250 dollar more. Can anyone see the reason beside greed.

jrw
jrw
Tell me why we still need Hilo Airport?

Who says Hilo International is underused? It's been busy busy busy with an endless crowd of contractors making use of the facility. Within the last two years:

* Miles of new fencing around the perimeter
* Cutting, and chipping dozens of giant old growth banyan and mango trees
* New 3 story airport fire station
* Paving the runways
* Construction of a new 64,000 square foot cargo facility
* New state operations building next to Aloha Cargo

Soon they'll be tearing down some of the old buildings which were constructed with building materials made from asbestos, so plenty of high bids for hazardous waste removal yet to come, because safety engineers aren't cheap.

Don't forget General Lyman Field has a dedicated General Aviation Area, as well as military operations including Black Hawk Helicopters. Young Air Force pilots also practice touch and go landings, while older military pilots log flight status miles between Hickam and Hilo.

Or did you mean... why does the general public still need General Lyman Field?

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
When Obama was in office airforce 2 I guess you would call it. Would sit here.. and sometimes fly circles round hilo. The most powerful aircraft in the world if you consider it's capabilities to start world war whatever.

(While he was here of course.)
Hilo being the closest to the mainland has always been considered vital in case air craft on the trans pacific route need to land ASAP in case of emergency.

Secondly any entity providing jobs is worth its weight in gold - especially if funded by federal dollars

It is quick 4 1/2 hr hop to LAX if one is willing to put up with a 737 (hint - spend the extra 80 dollars on a bulkhead seat)... United (most) 737's arent worth the 1st class $$$$)