Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hitchhiking gone sour - UPDATED!
http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...ry-suspect

Police are seeking the public’s assistance in finding 29-year-old Mason D. Beck, who’s wanted for questioning in connection with a robbery that allegedly occurred Wednesday in Pahoa.

A 37-year-old visitor from Germany told officers he was driving a local friend’s vehicle when he stopped to pick up a male hitchhiker on the Pahoa-Kalapana Road (Route 130) near Pahoa. After getting into the car, the suspect threatened the victim with a carpenter’s nail gun and instructed him to continue driving. About 5 or 6 miles past Pahoa town, the suspect ordered the victim to pull to the side of the road at which time he ordered the victim out of the car. The suspect left with the vehicle and was last seen headed toward Kalapana.

Beck is known to frequent Pahoa town and the Kalapana Black Sands subdivision, though he is not known to have a permanent residence. He’s described as Caucasian, 5-foot-11 and 225 pounds with blonde hair, blue eyes, a short beard and a scar on the left side of his face.

Anyone with information or who knows Beck’s whereabouts is asked to contact Detective Dean Uyetake of the Area I Criminal Investigation Section at (808) 961-2379 or dean.uyetake@hawaiicounty.gov or to call Crime Stoppers at 961-8300.
This is why you don't pick up hitchhikers unless you know them. I've got some great lower Puna hitchhiker stories and I rarely picked them up, mostly when I wasn't the driver, I digress. My fav is the teenage girl at Kalapana transfer station who had runaway for the week-end I took pity on her on my way to Hilo where she lived to be reunited with her mother. She had a large black garbage bag filled with her clothes and whatever btwn her legs on the floor of the front passenger seat. Just as we came to drop her off near her home at a major intersection with a cop behind me whom I assumed she did not see....she reached into the bag, opened up another bag full of shake and proceeded to thank me by putting a large spilling handful of it btwn us on the front seat of my car. Then she tried to put another messy handful and I tried to stop her but not get the attention of the officer. Oh what a fun day that was! I don't even smoke.
Then there was the woman with a mother and small child with lice and another time the young couple with Dengue fever, the things you don't find out until you've picked them up.

edit for spelling.
child with lice

Double hitchhiker

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I quit picking up people I don't know after two in a row who smelled so bad it took me a couple of days (seriously) to get the stink out of the car. That did it for me.
When I drove a truck, I would pick up anybody and have them ride in the bed. Never in a car.
quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

When I drove a truck, I would pick up anybody and have them ride in the bed. Never in a car.

Stopped for a yard guy I've hired over the years up at the Pahoa traffic light intersection, he got in the cab with me and apparently he knew a few other guys patiently waiting for rides there as well and he invited them into the back of my truck. I thought oh great, but what harm could this do? They were so high and became quite animated in their discussions one repeated stood up in the bed of the truck to make his point and each time lost his footing.
No, it's not safe to put them in the back of the truck.

edited for spelling.
quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

I quit picking up people I don't know after two in a row who smelled so bad it took me a couple of days (seriously) to get the stink out of the car. That did it for me.

Same here !
I picked up two young girls at 4 corners and almost broke my wrist rolling down the window .
I'll give them a lift in the bed of the truck only inside a subdivision, never on the highway. Just not safe.

We picked up a hitcher on Waa Waa road one day a couple of months ago who said she was staying at Cinderland.
As soon as she got in it was apparent she hadn't had a bath in awhile, had doused herself in cheap perfume, smelled like that"ho"that had just attended church. Dropped her off at the intersection and rode the rest of the way home with the air cond. on and the windows down.
Same here Punatic 007. The last hitchhiker I picked up was a kid in HPP with a backpack. No worries until he stepped into the car smelling like a dispensary. (Pack was full of weed). No thanks. Never again will I pick up a stranger, who apparently wanted me to deliver his product for him in my car.

The two times I picked up a girl before that, they both told me they were sick after they got into the car. I should have learned then...