Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ISS to remain over the Big Island in May
I've heard from a few of my colleagues at NASA that the International Space Station will be adjusting its orbit so that it remains over the Big Island for several hours in late May. Apparently, this is a collaboration between the USGS, NOAA and NASA to study the Kilauea lava flows and map the areas most at risk of any future flows. They also want to use some of the high-tech imaging equipment onboard the ISS to map the debris from shelf collapses which are just under the surface of the ocean. This will help refine the safety zone around lava ocean entry. The pause in its orbit will also allow the astronauts to carry out some much-needed maintenance on the station's thrusters.

This will obviously change future ISS orbits and sighting opportunities but does mean it will be easy to spot the ISS on the date NASA chooses to do this. I'll update everyone with details nearer the time.
You work for NASA? that's awesome, TomK Big Grin

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
Do you suppose they could park it over my house and inspect my roof ?
I'm fairly sure they can't do that, but the recent passes of the ISS over the island have allowed the crew to take thousands of close-up photos of houses on the island, some of them down to a resolution of a couple of inches.

If you provide coordinates, I can ask my colleagues to provide a picture or two but I can't guarantee it. You have to remember that most of this stuff is secret and I can only pass on what's already available to the public.
Awesome! It'll be even easier to spot.
Thanks Tom! It's great that you share what you can with us. You're our eye in the sky.
My Grandmother used to star gaze and teach me their names. (she always wanted to be a sailor, so naturally both of her sons were in the USN. )
She always said "keep your feet on the ground and your eyes to the stars". You do it so well!
Isn't this an April Fools joke? I didn't think the ISS could stay over one place unless it were in a geosynchronous orbit . . . which it isn't.
It's only 9 am and I've fallen for three April Fools jokes. I'm such a sucker.
Secrets, my Okole. I was thinking the same thing Chuckster, He didn't hook you partner. Nice try King TomK.
Isn't this an April Fools joke? I didn't think the ISS could stay over one place...

Certainly not! You don't need scientific explanations, the laws of physics or fancy words like "geosynchronous" to get advanced technology like the ISS or TMT to stand still for lengthy periods of time.

Tom probably couldn't offer any additional information due to work contract provisions, but there's more info on the internet, if you know where to look.

This ISS mapping project is just the first step in the new administration's "Make Government Work Like A Business" approach to getting things done. No more wasted time and money on non-commercial EPA pet projects. When the new space module arrives at the ISS via Space X, NASA will finally have the capability of powering up their ISS-X Terminator Program.

As Tom said, simply provide the coordinates to your home*, and friendly operators will send you an appointment framework** during which they will conduct their services. IMPORTANT: you will need to vacate your home and yard during your appointment.*** Then with a targeted, proprietary Microwave-EMP**** Burst all cockroaches, rats, geckos, termites, and silverfish will be quickly eliminated from your home sweet home. It's Organic! And Non-toxic!

* Prices based on square footage and height of structure.
** Like the cable guy, sometime this afternoon
*** Don't forget to take your pets
**** electromagnetic pulse

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves