Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Sunday Morning Walk In Puna
I went for my regular Sunday morning walk today, and on my return there was a gathering of four young women in their 20's near the parking area. I stopped about 30 feet away because they had a pack of dogs, and several were not on leashes. The dogs spotted me, began to bark and snarl, and run toward me. The young woman who was the owner said, "don't worry, they the friendliest dogs!"

Three years ago someone said those exact same words, right before their dog bit me. After that incident, I went to Sports Authority and bought pepper spray. It's been in my pocket ever since, whenever I take a walk. I have seen hundreds of dogs since that time, and have never even reached for the pepper spray. I only mention this so you'll understand I am not particularly nervous around dogs, and don't jump to conclusions about their behavior. I don't think every barking dog is a biting dog.

The loose dogs started circling me, barking and growling, so I took out the pepper spray and told the woman if they get within a foot of me I would spray them. She finally, and immediately got up and fairly nicely said, "please don't spray my dogs." She came over, and gained some control over the critters. I then made the mistake of pointing out the sign under which I was standing that said:

DOGS MUST BE ON LEASH

One of the other women informed me that the sign did not apply to them as they were sitting 30 feet before the sign, and the restriction in her opinion only applied if a person was on the trail beyond the sign (not exactly in those words), and then she continued to inform me that -- I should get off the island you f-ing haole m-f, etc, etc...

She then let me know that had I sprayed her friend's dog she would have released the pit bull under her chair and told him to attack me and then I would get off the island you haole m-f, etc...

I just wanted to get to my van. The dogs were between me and the van. When the pack was rounded up, I walked as quickly as I could to the van, and once inside the vehicle I told them I would call the police, and drove away.

I called the police, started to tell my tale, and the officer asked, were they local? She put me on hold for several minutes, came back and apologized for making me wait. She also seemed much less interested in taking down the details of the incident after the hold. She concluded with, "if we can, we'll send an officer." I reminded her that it was a fairly busy hiking trail especially on the weekend, and that the dogs would most likely bite someone if an officer didn't speak with the woman, especially the two owners of the dogs. I left my phone number but never received a call back.

Now here are a few observations:

1) I should get off the island? On what basis? I know I've been on the island longer than the young woman telling me to vamoose. I thought the deal was, whoever got here first gets to stay. Clearly there must be exceptions to the rule.

2) She was whiter than me. Which makes her maybe a 95% blood quantum haole calling me a haole as if it's a bad thing?

3) I see what you mean about the state of education in Puna, gypsy.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Lesson learned - when complaining to the police in Hawaii, always describe the perp as caucasian.

Seriously though, I am sorry that happened to you. It is always a drag when the thin veil of civility is removed. Being a minority is not all that fun is it?
the restriction in her opinion only applied if a person was on the trail beyond the sign

This is the interpretation currently used for speed limit signs; not sure it's been tested in court.

...and the officer asked, were they local?

Opinion: while the "rules and laws" are there "for everyone", the actual rules (which, for example, extend special "rights and privileges" to certain "locals") aren't published.

Where did this happen? The apparent lack of response by the police is almost as bad as the behavior of the women and their dogs. When I make such reports, I not only leave my number but specifically ask for a follow-up call. If I don't get a follow-up call, I ring them back and ask why. I was told to do this by a local policeman who felt strongly that dispatchers do not take this type of call seriously enough.
The Police and Fire dispatchers here remind me of the DMV staff in California. Sooooo much attitude.
Being a minority is not all that fun is it?

Trick question: which race is "over 50%" of the population on this island?

So the dogs were NOT on the trail you were calling police about, rather, at least 30' feet away from it and you did NOT get bit.
Don't dogs have to be on a leash everywhere, except on private property?

Yes they do which makes this non-response by HPD totally bogus.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

Don't dogs have to be on a leash everywhere, except on private property?

Yes.
I carry a bamboo "club" with me, and if dogs come within close proximity growling or barking, raise it up in a striking posture. They usually understand and back off. If they keep coming it's held down and pointed straight at them to fend off a potential lunge. Any owner who doesn't immediately recall their dog in the first scenario is clueless and negligent. "Friendliest dog" my arse. It's not my duty to interact with your fawking pet that I have zero interest in.

FWIW, police have been very professional, responsive and sympathetic to dog complaints in my neighborhood.