Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
District 4 Survey Results
Joy San Buenaventua mailed out the results her constituent survey. Lots to mull over, but I'll start with a few findings that are topics regularly discussed on Punaweb:

Should the County take over subdivision roads by collecting association fees as part of our property taxes?
Yes - 57%
No - 43%

Expand Geothermal on Hawaii Island?
Yes (energy coop considered with expansion) - 26%
Yes (district residents compensated with lower rates) - 30%
No - 26%
Other (?) - 18%

My takeaway is that homeowners associations are considered less responsive to their residents than the County, and only 1/4 of our residents are against geothermal, which includes those who live in the PGV neighborhood.

On the fifth day - the scientists who studied the rivers - were forbidden to speak - or to study the rivers. -Jane Hirshfield's poem on creation
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I think I filled out that survey, but wasn't there a question about taxing, too? like would you be willing to pay for paved roads. I can't remember the wording but seemed to ask subdivision members to take most the hit for (new) county roads.......
Should the County take over subdivision roads by collecting association fees as part of our property taxes?
Yes - 57%
No - 43%

Makes one wonder how roads w/CS on it would play into this...it's a long ways off prob from County taking over cross roads in HPP, let alone the main drags...but if/when it did, they wouldn't maintain it. Someone from the Dept of Trans sd they'd heard HPP was laying CS on our dirt roads. He thought it was a bad decision.
Assuming that County "management" of private roads wouldn't violate the precious County Code:

Hawaiian Acres has "about" 74 miles of roads.

Similar road pavement projects are quoted at $1M/mile.

Payments on $74M (20 years, 7%) are $7.25M/year.

$7.25M/4006 lots = about $1800/year.

Realistic?

Side effect: property on a paved road is worth more, so property taxes go up too...
Side effect: property on a paved road is worth more, so property taxes go up too...

Those that live on paved roads in HPP aren't paying higher property taxes than those on dirt roads, correct? I mean, how would the County know who lives on a paved rd vs dirt rd, in a private subdivision?
"Those that live on paved roads in HPP aren't paying higher property taxes than those on dirt roads, correct?"
There COULD be a higher assessed value, but the tax rate shouldn`t change

"how would the County know who lives on a paved rd vs dirt rd, in a private subdivision?"
The county and state do GIS map rectification using the state DBEDT GIS maps & a number of imaging products (LIDAR, Satellite even ground truthing, often utilizing GIS students)
State GIS link
http://planning.hawaii.gov/gis/
County GIS link:
http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/information-technology/
I picked two vacant HPP lots using Google, then cross-referenced with the RPT data.

Assessed value: Paved, $33K. Unpaved, $30K.

Hawaiian Acres is more obvious:

Unpaved no HELCO, $16500.
Unpaved with HELCO, $19400.
Paved $28200.

Hard as it is to believe, the county would probably manage several of the subdivisions' road moneys better than the current arrangements. That is, however, something they will not willingly do. I don't really see the county ever fixing the mess they created when they approved the subdivisions unless they are forced to by a huge class action lawsuit. They will claim that it would bankrupt them, and they might be right.
Or we can just wait for HPPOA to Bankrupt us....
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/opinion/l...or-4-27-17

The last time Harry Kim was mayor he came to Waikoloa Village and spoke to us from the stage of our school multiplex. He said that Waikoloa wasn’t getting anything from the county because we already had everything and that he was going to concentrate on the Puna side.

Funny.