Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Rid of Squatters
Aloha Punawebbers, I searched archives because I thought this had been discussed, but I didn't find any definitive advice on how to get rid of squatters in a community. I don't even care if people are squatting if they're not being a detriment to the property or community. But the scrubs that move in and then start stealing, trashing the place inside and out, leaving junk vehicles like a pig in someone else's pen... That rubs me wrong.

I had heard at one point that Mitch Roth's office had a squatter's task force of sorts. Can any of you point me in an effectual direction on the topic?

Mahalo, Happy Monday!

Melissa Fletcher
"Make yurts, not war" Bill Coperthwaite, 1973
As I understand it, the owner has to personally file a police complaint and then stay on their backs until the squatters are removed. If the owner is absentee or a mainland financial institution, it gets really hard. Squatters in some places have been known to go away for a few days and then come back. At one point Greggor Ilagan was supposed to have proposed county legislation making it easier to evict squatters, but I don't think that ever produced any real change. If there is ongoing criminal activity, the cops may or may not act to arrest people, depending on the activity and who is doing it. Good luck. You'll need it.
If the owner is absentee or a mainland financial institution

That's where it usually "just stops".

County should simply create a (very very high) property tax rate for "nuisance properties", then offer an "exemption" if the absentee owner grants permission to abate that nuisance.
From my experience, you have to track down the owner of the property. When it happened to the property across from me, the cops and the neighborhood association didn't care. Luckily, once I was able to get ahold of the owner, who lived on another island, he did contact me and worked to rectify the situation.
Good luck.
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session201...M1256_.PDF This shows the recent changes to the law, but it doesn't show the part about who can file a complaint and how to go about eviction. No one has heard about the task force with Mitch Roth?

Melissa Fletcher
I once owned some rental properties on the mainland. Had a property manager for them. I had heard some horror stories about how to get nasty destructive tenants out of a house and I was concerned. So I asked my property manager about how he would handle it.

He explained that getting an unruly unwilling occupant out was an expensive process. Once you force them out the aggravated situation can result in a lot of property damage. He suggested the cheapest thing that had worked for him was to simply go to the idiots and pay them to leave.... quickly, quietly and without making a bigger mess. One has to decide what a quick solution is worth.

Can't say its the best advice, just the advice I got.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
The payoff approach has worked great for me, as well. The almighty dollar for first and last, security deposits and whatever really discourages one to leave, but if they have the cash to do so, they take it!
Just be sure to give them a deposit, and remainder when the last bit of their stuff is on the truck!

Community begins with Aloha
Rob, can you keep it to Puna, please? nah, nah, just kidding Smile
The place I'm thinking of is a cesspit. Never was permitted, it looks worse than the shanties in Tijuana, Mexico.

Melissa Fletcher
County has "rules and laws" for this kind of thing. Not sure why it's so difficult.

Section 25-2-32. Right of entry for authorized personnel.

When it is necessary to make an inspection to enforce the provisions of this chapter, or when the authorized personnel has reasonable cause to believe that there exists upon a building or upon a premises or upon a building site a condition which is contrary to or in violation of this chapter which makes the building or premises or the building site unsafe, dangerous or hazardous
, the authorized personnel may enter the building or premises or the building site at reasonable times to inspect or to perform the duties imposed by this chapter, provided that if the building or premises is occupied that credentials be presented to the occupant and entry requested. If such building or premises be unoccupied, the authorized personnel shall first make a reasonable effort to locate the owner or other person having charge or control of the building or premises and request entry. [u]If entry is refused, the authorized personnel shall have recourse to the remedies provided by law to secure entry.[/i]