Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a new bicycle
I am planning on buying a new mountain bike in Hilo and want to know if they make you pay the bike registration fee at the point of sale...or is that left up to the owner to do after the purchase?
yup you gotta pay 15.00 at the point of sale.
Last year, July 2016 we bought a $45 bike from WalMart and only one week ago did the license arrive!

The Walmart bike was junk: chain falls off every 100 feet and seat cover tore off right away leaving little plastic spikes on top of seat normally covered by foam.

So, for us that was a 33% extra charge and the license came long after the lifespan of the bike!

aloha
aloha
Maybe I should buy the bike on Amazon or Ebay. I really don't feel I need a registration for bike that I will ride 100% of the time on private roads and its not a very expensive bike either so "if" it gets stolen...I wont be too upset...
Well I just did that. Bought it on Amazon for $99.00 plus tax and free delivery to my door. It may take two weeks but Im in no rush.
bike that I will ride 100% of the time on private roads

Irrelevant; the bike is still "in the State", even if it never leaves your ("private") property.
The reason for the license is to allow for theft recovery.

At least that's what the State says.

"Registration

In Hawai#699;i, all bicycles are required to be registered. View requirements by county below."

https://portal.ehawaii.gov/residents/tra...formation/
The reason for the license is to allow for theft recovery.

That excuse might work on Oahu, but not here.
theft recovery.

I knew someone who recently had his truck stolen.
He told the police where it was.
The police said there wasn't enough evidence to look into it.
(He took matters into his own hands, and through "personal encouragement" got his truck back, by that time partially stripped.)

How much effort do you think the police will put into finding a stolen bike?
The only theft recovery would be getting your money back for the bike license fee you paid.

It... lends weight to Goethe's felicitous description of architecture as 'frozen music.' ... Does this, I often wonder, make music 'defrosted architecture?' Listening to Bach's Goldberg variations as I often do on walks when motorway noise and other auditory intrusions preclude the music of silence, it strikes me that it might. - Pub Walks in Underhill Country, Nat Segnit
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Apologies for changing the subject a little bit, but disregarding cost, which place is the best for buying a decent bicycle?

As a kid and into my mid-20s, I rode all over the place and it seems a good way to try and get fit again despite a back injury. The bikes I used to ride were called "racers" with the turned-down handlebars but am not sure that's what I need now. Something that would be safe and reliable to ride around lower HPP and dirt roads is what I'm looking for.

Thanks!