Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The History of Emergency Medical Care on B.I."
There have been many discussions about healthcare on the Big Island. I stumbled across these articles, thought they were interesting reading and wanted to share.

Part 1
http://hamakuatimes.com/the-history-of-e...97-106.htm

Part 2
http://hamakuatimes.com/the-history-of-e...22-106.htm
Thanks HI_Someday, we certainly have better services now than in the 1970's.

Hopefully other people who read the article won't notice the lack of Native Hawaiian doctors in the chronology, and suggest that maybe we better close down the hospital and medical facilities here on Big Island because local students obviously weren't given the same opportunities as those mainland doctors from the Bronx.

It... lends weight to Goethe's felicitous description of architecture as 'frozen music.' ... Does this, I often wonder, make music 'defrosted architecture?' Listening to Bach's Goldberg variations as I often do on walks when motorway noise and other auditory intrusions preclude the music of silence, it strikes me that it might. - Pub Walks in Underhill Country, Nat Segnit
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by glinda:
WTF is your hangup HereOnThePrimalEdge? You go on and on about this Hawaiian thing without any basis in fact or other real point other than to jab a sore spot with a hot poker. It's like you are fixated on it and to no good end. In fact it's getting down right disgusting. Why don't you give it a break?

You go on and on about this Hawaiian thing without any basis in fact or other real point

You can't imagine how much I agree with that statement.

It... lends weight to Goethe's felicitous description of architecture as 'frozen music.' ... Does this, I often wonder, make music 'defrosted architecture?' Listening to Bach's Goldberg variations as I often do on walks when motorway noise and other auditory intrusions preclude the music of silence, it strikes me that it might. - Pub Walks in Underhill Country, Nat Segnit
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
real point

If you didn't understand my original comment, let me explain in detail. There have been several people (or perhaps I should say several 'usernames' as some are the same person), who go on at length with no basis in fact that the telescopes should not exist on Mauna Kea because as far as they're concerned, there are not enough Native Hawaiian astronomers working there.

By that logic, if the observatories shouldn't be there because of the lack of Hawaiian astronomers, I half expected those same 'usernames' to suggest we should close down medical facilities on Hawaii Island because Hawaiian doctors did not play a prominent enough role in our healthcare history. If Hawaiians chose not go to medical school, we should all suffer the consequences.

But the topic is the history of healthcare, which in the article linked above, described the complete lack of Big Island emergency care on weekends back in the 1970's. Can you imagine?

I'm with HOTPE on this one. One name comes to mind for me.
Another thread derailed, from Emergency Care on the BI (which I thought was interesting) to the same old debate covered on multiple other threads ad nausium "to no good end."

Edited because I repeated myself and punctuation
Amen Kenney. Ad nausium indeed.
[xx(]
Our Dr is local born n raise.
The whole office including staff - plus new Drs he has sponsored are local and Hawaiian .
Our whole ohana has the same Dr , and we stay local born n raise .
Our Dr even makes house calls .
He is not in it for the money as he will never be out of debt - he is in it for the good health of the community and our island .
Mrs.Mimosa
Mimosa, I wish more doctors were that way!