Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you love about living on the Big Island?
What do you love about living on the Big Island? When we’ve visited, everyone has radiated warmth and graciousness. But the reason I ask is that, at my urging, my husband has been checking out punaweb for some time. And he is concerned that, often, folks seem to have more bad things to say about the Big Island than good things (which, in my opinion, is probably due to the nature of any forum). We have tried to do our due diligence to understand, as best we can, the drawbacks of living there before we pull up stakes and move. But, on the flip side, we would love to hear what is wonderful about your life on the BI.

Mahalo for your time and thoughts. For us, punaweb has been an enormous fount of knowledge and helpful advice on all things BI over the past few years.
There are a lot of positives, but quite simply, either bring your own job with you or have a big bag of money. Having no serious health issues is also a plus.
Don't let the forums spook you to much.. people tend to discuss the negatives more than the positives.
It is much better to go into this knowing as many of the negatives as possible, rather than getting here and deciding that one or more of those negatives will ruin you in some fashion.
I love the perfumed air in the hour before dawn and the wide open spaces. I enjoy the breadth of cultural differences.

Yes, there is conflict, but most of the folks around here are very nice and aloha is a real thing.
1 island 2 another
Wasn't there a previous thread w/similar topic? It had very positive reflections....maybe someone remembers what it was called?? I know there are more experienced posters here who would know how to retrieve that thread.... I think you'd enjoy reading it benthudd. [Smile]

Weather is perfect. Not too crowded yet.
Here it is benthudd.....Page 12 "What are your favorite things about Puna?"

http://punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23412
The perfumed air, the diversity, the warmth, the wide open spaces, the slower pace (I added that one). Thank you for the input so far! I will look for that post right now, mermaid53. And leilanidude, I agree that we should go into the move with our eyes wide open. So I appreciate the warning. It's just that I want my husband to remember why we love it there instead of wondering, "And why are we moving to the BI?” (I’d love to hear what positives you experience from living there, leilanidude.) And best of all--It is so nice to hear that aloha is a real thing and not an illusion or glorious figment of our imagination from our visits.
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

There are a lot of positives, but quite simply, either bring your own job with you or have a big bag of money. Having no serious health issues is also a plus.

^He's right you know.
It's human nature for people to get together and bitch about things. It's just what we do as a social species I guess.
Few and far between are the "hey, let's have a party and discuss what we love about xxx" people.

quote:
The Internet is a communication tool used the world over where people can come together to bitch...