Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1lb pkg Driscol Strawberries $1.50 ea at Target
Speaks for itself....except I just bought 4 for tonight and they're "fresh",sweet and delicious.
Good call!
I bought some today, good berries but watch your receipt. They're still marked $1.50 but scanned at $2.50. I caught the mistake at the self checkout and was able to get the price corrected.

Perfect citizens: Those who do not like cake, but have a passion for producing eggs, butter, sugar & milk.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
How can anyone produce and distribute their produce at that price? Maybe a give away sale but that's a smoking deal.
I suspect when prices get that low, it's a bumper crop and they need to move it fast.

btw, Target is selling Rainier cherries. You don't see them very often and I've never seen them in Hawaii. They are delish.
Strawberries seem to have a rather short "shelf life", but not as bad as raspberries. Perhaps they were discounting the strawberries because the produce distributor had to "dump" them due to ripeness of the berries themselves by the time they got here.

Community begins with Aloha
local fruit may be more expensive

Especially if you include the medical expenses of a rat lungworm infection.
No need to accuse them of all sorts of crimes, maybe they're just more efficient.
JustinK @ 07:07:2017

Good analysis of Driscoll's operations, unfortunately.
discounting the strawberries... due to ripeness of the berries themselves

I think that's the reason Tink. I don't know how often their produce shipments come in, maybe once a week? I think when the berries arrive in excellent condition they are put on the shelf at full price. Then as the week goes on and Target wants to move out the remaining stock, SALE!
I've also noticed that when they're marked at 1/2 price or so, they often look good and taste good for a day or two after I buy them, but I try to eat them within a couple of days or they will start getting soft.

No vast corporate-immigrant picker-price fixing Berry Conspiracy going on behind the scenes. Just ship 'em in - - then move 'em out before they go bad.

Perfect citizens: Those who do not like cake, but have a passion for producing eggs, butter, sugar & milk.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves