Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids and Schools
Aloha-everyone, just wondering if anyone has a opinion on which is best to home school, or go to regular school. I have done some research and it seem that Hawaii has some great schools. But my I guess "issue" is that my kids are freaking out cause they feel like everybody is gonna make fun of them because they are howlies-sp? I'm trying to make this move as smooth of a transition as poss. for everybody. But I only know what I can read on the internet on certan subjects- IE: my bug,animal,water,volcano,tusami,and and the list goes on about my wierdo obsessions- Oh lets not forget my friend the shark-Yuck. I know they are misunderstood creatures, and very elegant,BUT...they still freak me out. All we have here are mostly alot of Mud sharks and they get big and they eat your salmon bait and bite parts of your flounder off as your pulling it into your boat but they don't attack people. They remind me of dogs.But they put up a nice fight on they way into the boat-thinking you had a Salmon-think again... Aloha Lisa

Coming to Hawaii!! Yeah!
Coming to Hawaii!! Yeah!
This next bit is my OPINION only... so take it for what it is worth.

I have several new friends here who are school teachers. They talk to me regularly about their classrooms and the goings on. The major concern is not the racism the children face but the linguistic deficits of local kids that keep them so far behind the curve on learning. It slows everyone down. We need to remember that Pidgen may sound interesting but it is truely another language and kids raised in a household with this language spoken must struggle with proper American English (I was tempted to write proper English, but my English friends would hit me with a stick!!).

The problem with homeschooling on a social level is that your kids are MORE isolated, MORE different and therefore more likely to have problems with local kids. My own experience is that kids of all colors, religions backgrounds and even ages get along well here on the Puna side. They learn to fit in just like they do anywhere else. All new kids are teased. If they take it to heart and let it overwhelm them, they become targets. Kids can be cruel. However, if they go to the local school, participate in local sports (I have never seen more kids playing soccer than at the fields in Keaau), hula and other activities, they will make friends and find their places. Most of the kids now are Hapa (half Hawaiian, half Haole). Simply put, most have a non-Hawaiian parent or grandparent in the household. Your kids experience will be what they make it.

Rumor has it that the worst school for High School r/t the race issue is Kea'au High. I have one friend who quit teachig there because of the uncontrolled fighting issues. He feels he principal does ot maintain equal discepline amongst the kids, being too lenient and understanding of "angry" locals, actually perpeutating that issue. He thinks the fighters are just bullies and need to be taken down a notch. That is the ONLY comment a teacher has made to me of a racial nature. I have friends who's kids go to that high school and they express the same experience.

On the other hand, Hilo High and Waikea (sp???) are supposed to offer excellent programs with lots of extracurricular activities. There are a lot of charter schools also.

So now you have heard my "babble". But I strongly encourage you to put your kids into public schools and let them learn the new ways and make new friends. Should their experience be negative, you could always change to home schooling after 6 months or a year.

Welcome to a wonderful island and I look forward to meeting you when you arrive. We have a wonderful network of new friends here on the island.

Warmly,
Pam Lamont

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Thanks- for the info... I was thinking being in a school was better- I really don't want to have to home school( I have so much I want to do-love to work) So I appreciate your inpute. It's just my kids freaking out(freaking me out) My middle son is a little chubby and gets teased a lot-so he is the main one concerned about this. I try to give him posative reinforcement but it always backfires on me. I am hoping he will get more active and want to go out and runaround more w/ the weather not always raining as here in the seattle area. We are a very active outdoor family and our mouths are watering to be on the BI. Aloha- Lisa
quote:
Aloha-everyone, just wondering if anyone has a opinion on which is best to home school, or go to regular school. I have done some research and it seem that Hawaii has some great schools. But my I guess "issue" is that my kids are freaking out cause they feel like everybody is gonna make fun of them because they are howlies-sp? I'm trying to make this move as smooth of a transition as poss. for everybody. But I only know what I can read on the internet on certan subjects- IE: my bug,animal,water,volcano,tusami,and and the list goes on about my wierdo obsessions- Oh lets not forget my friend the shark-Yuck. I know they are misunderstood creatures, and very elegant,BUT...they still freak me out. All we have here are mostly alot of Mud sharks and they get big and they eat your salmon bait and bite parts of your flounder off as your pulling it into your boat but they don't attack people. They remind me of dogs.But they put up a nice fight on they way into the boat-thinking you had a Salmon-think again... Aloha Lisa

Coming to Hawaii!! Yeah!

Coming to Hawaii!! Yeah!
Coming to Hawaii!! Yeah!
My experience with children in Hawaii is very limited; our children were already grown before our first visit here, and our grandchildren have not yet visited. However, my impression is that weight is, if anything, less of an issue here than it is in large mainland cities (where it can be painful indeed).

Howard

quote:
My middle son is a little chubby and gets teased a lot-so he is the main one concerned about this.

Hi,
I had a couple of questions related to charter schools. My son has been in a charter type school here on the mainland and has also been homeschooled. We have seen info on a few of the charter schools over on the Island and are very interested in this option. Has anyone had any experience with the charter schools? Do you know if someone just moving there has the option of enrolling in one? I will be contacting them directly when we have a definite arrival date but am just seeking some preliminary info.
Thanks,
Lori

Aloha Lori, try this site, it has a list of the charter schools in Pahoa and Keaau areas and info. http://doe.k12.hi/us/myschool/map_hawaii.htm Sorry, I can't seem to make it come up correctly, but I found it by googling Hawaii island charter schools..

Edited by - leilaniguy on 02/01/2006 14:24:41

Edited by - leilaniguy on 02/01/2006 14:27:21
Aloha- try this link:
http://165.248.6.166/data/schoollist_pcs.asp
It lists the charter schools by island; most have a website that talks about their ed philosophy. I currently teach at a public charter school in Colorado and just submitted all my paperwork to the Hawaii Dept of Ed to apply for a job next school year. I will personally contact the East Hawaii charter schools to express interest in a job (I teach middle school math and science) and will post here any add'l info that I find out that might interest you. I hope something pans out because our move depends on my getting a position. My husband retires at the end of this school year and he will spend his time building our house.

Linda in CO

Thank you both for the info. I will be really interested what you find out and what your impressions of the schools are if you end up with an interview. I've read a little bit about each of them but haven't contacted them yet as we don't know for sure when/if we will be getting there.

Thanks again,
Lori

i waited to move to hawaii until my son had graduated. i did not want to subject him to hawaii's public school system. i had friends who raised their children here and it was tough. they homeschooled for years, and then let them go to HS the last couple. from what they told me there was racism(them being haole). i know that the haole kids tended to hang out together, i'm not saying all the "local" kids hasseled them, but from what they said it was tough. anyway i know 4 different teachers all whom teach at charter schools which they tell me is the way to go. this is just meant as a "heads" up. as long as the kids are prepared, i think it will work out. good luck.

Without going into details, I have to agree with loffelkopffl. Although my time in the Hawaii school system was a long time ago, I don't think the school atmosphere has changed much. A little more difficult for boys than girls. My sisters had very few problems.

David D