Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rat Lung prevention: It's up to YOU
Hi all,

I am a recent Puna resident (Orchidland) and have been reading up on the latest RLD being discussed. Before my knowledge of it was really limited as i just heard about it in talk story, but it is an alarming disease. No cure? I've spent time reading through the posts on here and have to say I have learned some invaluable information! With the latest spotlight on it, If we wait for Hawaii to address this and act on it, well, by that time we won't have to worry about it because we'all be make` already!

It's up to us, as it is anywhere else, to combat this stuff if we are to take care of ourselves and our ohana. Don't wait for someone else to solve the problem. Some of the prevention discussed is very good, some unreasonable. Those of us with catchment, we have to treat water, as cities do for their residents. Whether its lead, pesticides, Hexavalent Chromium or whatever, it will eventually kill you if it's not addressed.

My neighbor and I have cats, even though my wife is allergic to them, but they do keep the rodents down. That's one vector we can somewhat address. As far as snails and slugs or even bird feces, no can! As I see it, we need to treat the water entering our homes by a UV filter system, chlorine shocking our catchments (do pool tablets work?) regularly and a 5 stage UV water filtration system for drinking water. As far as growing leafy greens and veggies, an enclosed and secure Hydroponic system is really the only way I can see. It's a shame that while all of us moved here to grow our own food, we cannot safely now. It's like any other life threatening issue, educate ourselves as much as we can, come up with workarounds by brainstorming since there is no resolving it, then being prudent about putting an action plan in place best you can. It's like Mexico "Dont drink the water", only you don't just get the squirts!

So the way I see this is:
1) Check your catchment regularly, at least once a week for rodents, slugs, treat twice a month with chlorine (Pool Tablets?). Keep a good sealed cover on it without tears or holes, keep it tight around.
2) Even though they're expensive, buy a UV filter for the incoming water going to your house (What is your life worth?)
3) Get an under-counter 5 stage drinking water filter system for cooking and drinking.
4) If you have to eat fresh veggies, get them from a hydroponic garden, otherwise find something else to eat. Wash the veggies very thoroughly and cook the hell out of them!

This is the world we live in today. This is waht happens when we do not "malama da aina". Whether it's radioactive Fukushima fish with Ciguatera, or getting pummeled with high power Cellular repeating towers, or getting sick from Salmonilla in the meats, whatever it is, be aware and smart about your environment and what you put in your body. Some things we cannot help, but take action on the things we can.

Nobody said living in Hawaii, or even life itself, was easy or cheap.

Jerry "Kani" Gillgren
Jerry Gillgren
Noted.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
It's not just the veggies, but don't forget about fruit as well, don't just pick them off the tree and bite into it, those days are OVER. Wash em first!!!!!!
all of us moved here to grow our own food, we cannot safely now

By design. Independence does not meet the larger goal.
kalakoa @ 13:26:23-
Yup.
Otherwise we would be energy independent now.
(Solar, geothermal, tidal etc.)
Food, more work, but yes. (See Rat Lung Worm, UHH vs HDoH e.g.).
Hub for astrophysics and science too (see TMT).

Slugs in bed-- advice?
I woke up last night with a slug on my face. I did clean up with soap and water and alcohol. Bed is elevated on metal frame so must have come under a door and across the floor. Advice?
May have made it that far across your home, but if you undressed from outside in your bedroom with butt on the bed while doing so, probably transferred that way. Don't feel bad, most people stay in their "daily" clothes until bedtime.
Change your habits to have a "strip down" or mud room as some call it to remove outer clothing when done outside and have some comfortable "inside" clothes to relax in when living under trees.

Community begins with Aloha
What a lousy way to wake up CF. It sounds like you did all you could to disinfect yourself.

I found a semi slug sliming across the living room floor that came from under the chest freezer, which is right inside the front door. I used bleach too.
Apparently, sometimes they find their way into the house.
quote:
Originally posted by Tink

Change your habits to have a "strip down" or mud room as some call it to remove outer clothing when done outside and have some comfortable "inside" clothes to relax in when living under trees.

Thanks for the insight. I was so tired last night that I did just go to bed, perhaps it was somewhere in my clothes.
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFin

Slugs in bed-- advice?
I woke up last night with a slug on my face. I did clean up with soap and water and alcohol. Bed is elevated on metal frame so must have come under a door and across the floor. Advice?

Advice is don't mouth breathe while sleeping. [:p]

This is a shocker-never heard of this before. Sometimes I feel like a slug upon wakening.