Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virgin mobile year of unlimited promotion
https://www.virginmobileusa.com/

iPhone only. You buy a phone (SE, 6, 6s, and 7 or plus) and get the first year "unlimited" for a buck. Second year for $50/ month, plus $10 if you want to tether. And some other bennies, and somewhat hidden limits, but...

Quite a deal if you were planning to get an iPhone anyway.

It uses Sprint infrastructure and the coverage map seems similar to AT&T.

So my question: any punawebbers using Sprint? How do you find the coverage/ utility of the service?

Cheers,
Kirt
I have Vigin Mobile.
I'm in HPP near the ocean. I can generally send and receive text messages, but voice service gets kind of sketchy a couple of miles from Hwy 130.
When it works, it's a good deal, but I plan to switch to Verizon one of these days.

(It's) what the existentialists called "awful freedom" the reinvention of irrationality by marginalized people, just in order to spite science. -Elif Batuman
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"12 mos. for $1 unlimited service offer: Limited-time offer. Expires 7/31/17. "
Otherwise sounds pretty good! What's to stop you cancelling after a year?

Apparently extended to Aug 31st. I, too, didn't see mention of what the penalty would be to cancel. Maybe it not possible or you owe $50 x 12 for the free year you reneged on. DK.

Thanks for the info HotPE...

Cheers,
Kirt
Seems to be a theme for the day. (I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, I'm just really good at picking apart "terms and conditions"):

"What Happens If Virgin Mobile Changes The Agreement?

We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this Agreement at any time. "

https://www.virginmobileusa.com/legal#te...conditions

Also:

"Inner Circle Auto-Pay Terms and Conditions
Effective June 21, 2017

To subscribe to the Virgin Mobile Inner Circle service plan, you must enroll and remain enrolled in Virgin Mobile AutoPay service. "

https://www.virginmobileusa.com/legal#autopay-terms

With these two provisions in effect:

Virgin Mobile can 1) change your fees at any time and 2) You have to pre-authorize them to deduct those changed fees from your bank account or against your credit card without your prior per-transaction consent.

There is a lot more in the details, I'm guessing the fees won't change in the first year, unless of course you violate one of the dozens of terms and conditions the lawyers put together, for example don't use more than 100MB during domestic roaming, etc.

I'm just really good at picking apart "terms and conditions"):

Just because they can raise the price, doesn't mean they will. I signed up with Virgin Mobile seven years ago, smartphone, unlimited text and data, 400 minutes talk, $25 a month. They dropped that plan years ago, I think their cheapest is now $35 a month. I still pay $25 every month.

(It's) what the existentialists called "awful freedom" the reinvention of irrationality by marginalized people, just in order to spite science. -Elif Batuman
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

I'm just really good at picking apart "terms and conditions"):

Just because they can raise the price, doesn't mean they will. I signed up with Virgin Mobile seven years ago, smartphone, unlimited text and data, 400 minutes talk, $25 a month. They dropped that plan years ago, I think their cheapest is now $35 a month. I still pay $25 every month.

It's possible that 7 years ago they weren't clever enough to add the "we can/will screw you" verbiage to their terms and conditions like they do now. Apple/AT&T(?) fought legal battles for years trying to shed "unlimited data" customers from the original iphone customers and lost... they eventually got rid of them by discontinuing the 2G service that was available at the time, rendering the devices inoperable.

It could also just be that you are a good, long-term customer, and they appreciate your business, and that your usage is still profitable to them. We have a Verizon agreement that is better $ than anything else available, hope to hang onto it as long as possible.

ETA: ", rendering the devices inoperable." plus content
Now they've dropped the condition to buy a new iPhone.

Bring your own iPhone and still get the first year for $1.

https://www.virginmobileusa.com/content/...evice.html

Cheers,
Kirt

Edit add link
Thanks!
HOTPE - I suspect you already know, but Verizon works well in lower HPP. Sprint never used to work well here but haven't tried it for years, so am not sure the Virgin package, which looks pretty good, is a good option down here (plus I don't have an iPhone). Verizon has also just changed their "unlimited" plans which are now much cheaper, although throttling starts at 15 GB. So far, I've not found this a problem (I regularly exceed 15 Gb a month) although I wouldn't want to use the service at that point for streaming HD videos.