Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to donate for the Harvey storm?
I'm avoiding the Red Cross because once they get your info, they hound you for years.
I'm thinking maybe the Salvation Army, but I'm open to other ideas.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
The NY Times has a list of local (to Texas) and national charities. My vote would be for United Way of Greater Houston, but there are plenty of other choices there:

https://goo.gl/Yb873B
Tom, that helps a lot!
Puna: Our roosters crow first
No problem. I have a few friends in Houston so have been watching events. Fortunately, they have all been in touch now so know they are safe, although one or two had to be rescued.
We have a grand daughter there .
They are fine.
She says do NOT send money no matter what.
Houston is sinking from ground water depletion and is built on purpose to accommodate this type of flooding.
She says mostly the slums - welfare ghettos high crime section 8 druggies getting the brunt of this flooding.
She says do NOT send money - send used clothing if you must donate anything through salvation army or goodwill.
Texas is an extremely wealthy state and can handle their own disasters.
FEMA is helping - your tax dollars so again do NOT send money .
Mrs.Mimosa
Texas' gdp in 2015 was 1.6 trillion dollars , Hawai'i was 61.5 billion.. I think they can afford whatever life throws at them.
Divide those numbers by the populations of Texas and Hawaii (i.e., GDP per capita), the difference is not quite so dramatic. Anyway, this was a thread about finding ways to donate to victims of Harvey from someone in Hawaii. Shame it's been hijacked so quickly.
In any disaster it's always far, far better to send money (if you want to help) and not anything else.
They are fine.
She says do NOT send money no matter what.

The people who lost everything in the flood might have a different view than someone who didn't lose anything. Just imagine if the Pahoa lava flow or a hurricane destroyed everything a Puna resident owned. The state is not going to replace it all.

I've heard from people who live in Texas that these organizations will get almost all of your donation money to those in need:

* AFL-CIO Texas Worker Relief Fund
* The Greater Houston Food Bank
* JJ Watt Foundation

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
do NOT send money no matter what

Send them one-way plane tickets to the Big Island instead.