Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HWY 130
So what the heck happened today? Coming towards home around 4:30 and total back up started at Milo St, unlike Tuesday when it started at the high school. Peeling off to HWY 11, it was just as bad.

Just frustrated that it took 1 1/2 hours to travel what is only about 15 miles!
1 island 2 another
It was pretty bad, wasn't it? I left Hilo at 5:30 pm and have only just got back home now. I don't know the cause, but my guess would be the work at Shower went on longer than usual which backed everything up hours later.

I got to enjoy the bumper to bumper myself. My wife and I are retired. We went in to Kaiser Permanente, then to Reed's Bay beach, then to Safeway, and left Hilo about 3:45. My daughter left Hilo well after us, as she works there now. We knew she couldn't make it to the Malamalama School on Makuu in HPP in time, so called her and said we'd pick up our grand daughter. We picked her up at 4:55, and the after school late pickup time ends at 5:00. Close call.

Thought there might have been an accident or something, as we haven't been in a jam like tonight in a couple of years.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
the work at Shower went on longer than usual which backed everything

I drove into Hilo at 2:30 and the traffic headed in Pahoa direction was jam packed from Shower to Keaau High. Left Hilo a little before 5:00 and ran into the slowdown at a point between Milo & Hwy 11. I think the construction had things so backed up that it never had a chance to clear out even after they quit for the day. Whenever that was.

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I thought I'd check the Puna traffic cameras, but they're not a lot of help. Out of the twenty cameras, ten aren't working.

http://punatraffic.com/Cameras
They should be doing the work at night. It's ridiculous; how many thousands of man/woman hours of people's time are they wasting each day? They're not doing anything that can't be done at night.
My conjecture is that today is the last day of the month, for billing purposes, so more time today, more time on the books for the month. Also, we are heading into a three-day weekend and the people may have extra vacation time to extend the holiday. Just a guess.
Out of the twenty cameras, ten aren't working.

Imagine that! Things not working in Puna.

They should be doing the work at night.

But that would inconvenience a few dozen union workers. Far better to inconvenience 5,000 Puna commuters.
Up zoo rd to N.Kulani.
Down Hwy 11 from N.Kulani,
Stop for Pu Pus at Hara store,down to Ola'a to 40th
Down pahaku to the top paved rd in HPP as 130 cuts through top side of HPP,across to the church with cell tower and zoom zoom and no traffic hassles.
And aloha friday is gonna be worse.
Mrs.Mimosa
I'll be very surprised if Friday is bad. They don't tend to work that day and if they do, finish very early. Fridays are usually the fastest commute on week days.