Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crime Rate at Record Low
Hawaii crime rate reaches record low for 2016.

Guess all this talk about crime and punishment has made an effect.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...record-low
Fake news
Low violent crime rate, high property crime rate. A lot of theft is not reported.
A lot of theft is not reported.

A lot, if not most, domestic abuse is not reported. By the time the police arrive, if they are called at all, nobody wants to press charges. So there's nothing filed or recorded, and the violent crime rate is reported to us as low.

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
There are a number of ways to manipulate crime data, and there are always local exceptions even to legitimately tracked trends. My policemen friends tell me that the way crimes are tracked on the Big Island is hit and miss in terms of accuracy over time. One of these guys was a community policing officer before the brass de-emphasized the concept, and he clearly stated that he did not trust his own department's statistics.
quote:
Originally posted by MarkD

Low violent crime rate, high property crime rate. A lot of theft is not reported.

The article reported an increase in violent crimes on Big Island last year.

If a lot of theft wasn't reported last year, chances are it wasn't reported in previous years at approximately the same percentage.

Nevertheless, there was/is still a lot of property crime on island. A good trend, but clearly not good enough to keep people from being alarmed and complaining about it.

2016 was several months ago...

Cheers,
Kirt
It took them 8 months to put the numbers together.
Sure has been a surge of grand theft auto. That was almost unheard out here on the big island a few decades ago.