Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
OTA TV Channels
I haven't tuned into OTA channels for awhile, but it's Labor Day weekend, and the start to football season. So... what's going on with the local channels?

ABC - I'm getting it on 13.2, where I think CBS used to be
No reception at 4.1 or 4.2 where ABC used to be.

Everything else seems to be the same, but can't click away from the Michigan-Florida game right now. As the announcer noted, "we've got a dandy here in north Texas."
(No idea why they're playing in north Texas either. It's the Labor Day holiday, can't things just stay where they're supposed to be, to keep work to a minimum on an alleged day off?)

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The abc 4-1 and 4-2 channels went out yesterday. I now only have sound...no video. Could it be a contract dispute? Funny how it happened on September 1st.
We have had 2 10-1's and 2 10-2's since yesterday. ABC is the first 10-1. The former 4-2 is now one of the 10-2's. Confusing. Today the 13's are coming in. Seems like everything's still there, just moved around.
Same here, channels are playing musical chairs. If you're missing some try rescanning.
Anyone find the main CBS channel? I'm getting 3 different sub channels at 45.1, etc.
In the spot where CBS had been there's now This TV, broadcasting old programs.

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
This is a little complicated, but I think something’s broken and causing the confusion.

A DTV station broadcasts something called PSIP (Program + System Info Protocol) that creates a “virtual channel”, which is different from the “physical channel”. The purpose is so when a TV station changes frequencies, the channel number stays the same.

When there is no PSIP, the TV defaults to the physical channel when viewing that station.

ABC/MeTV uses physical Ch 13, with virtual Ch 4.
NBC/CBS uses physical Ch 22, with virtual Ch 13.

It sounds to me like the PSIP on ABC/MeTV is broken, and when you are rescanning your TV, it’s actually overwriting the correct 13 (NBC/CBS) with the broken one (ABC/MeTV).

You may want to see if you can receive NBC/CBS on Channel 22. This will work on _some_ TV’s.

@Kenney: I don’t know why the 4’s were coming in on 10. Was that a typo? That one doesn’t make sense (although anything’s possible!)

@macuu222: There’s no retransmission contracts involved with 4.1/4.2. Often when something goes wrong with a digital transmitter, other things accompany it. I think their transmitter is just messed up. Maybe struck by lighting?

TV Transmitters need to be restarted every so often, just a desktop computer. Fixes everything 9 out of 10 times :-)

Richard
Thanks H22. Was wondering when / hoping you would set us straight again.
@terracore: Hi! :-) It's hard to not reply, being a DTV geek! I'm not in town right now, so I'm not able to confirm that it's definitely the issue or not. What I said would answer the issues with 4 and 13, but not 10 and 45 that Kenney and HereOnThePrimalEdge mentioned. I dropped KITV an email to give them a heads up.
Thanks H22.
I'm able to watch all the games I wanted to see today, and from what you say everything should be sorted out as soon as someone can check the equipment in Hilo.
terracore, I didn't want to rescan, as I pick up different stations depending on where I aim my antenna. Once I have them all locked in, I like to leave well enough alone.
Thanks again to everyone for your input, suggestions, and insight.

I have another question, not OTA. Does anyone have Sling TV or the new Hulu live streaming? Both services offer three ESPN channels, and I'm thinking about getting one of those services during football season. (I don't have or want cable or satellite) Suggestions? Recommendations?

Seriously H22, we have 2 10-1's and 2 10-2's. CBS (formerly 4) is the first 10-1 and Metv (formerly 4-2) is the first 10-2.
Just checked again to be sure...