Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lau Lau Recommendations

My two young nephews love Lau Lau. Their problem is that they are currently dependent upon my less than average culinary skills for subsistence.

Their mom, who is currently on the mainland, used to buy Lau Lau from a UH Hilo classmate whose auntie's creations were a raging success in our household.

Sometimes I see Lau Lau being sold rode-side and am tempted, but am also - understandably - hesitate.

Completely clueless about which restaurants serve up good Lau Lau as well.

To anyone able and willing to provide recommendations on Lau Lau, my nephews' gratitude - and mine too because I'm tired of hearing about it already.

Thanks!

Mike in HPP
Everyone will flame me to death but you could just go to L&L.
I've seen lau lau for sale in grocery stores like KTA, Foodland and maybe even Safeway.

@obie @leo - LOL, I drove by the L&L in downtown Hilo on Kilauea and thought to myself - I could never eat there based on the outside appearance alone. I think there is an L&L in Keaau, and I will check it out. Didn't dawn on me that grocery stores may stock Lau Lau - will remember that during next shopping visit.

Thanks to both of you!
KTA Puainako might have it.
Kuhio Grille - Home Of The Famous 1lb Laulau
Prince Kuhio Plaza, 111 East Puainako Street #106A, Hilo, HI 96720

@kalakoa @alaskyn66 - thanks much! I'm almost afraid to mention a 1lb Lau Lau to the boys.

Mike in HPP
We made them in the crockpot last week. Chop pork, toss in Hawaiian salt, wrap meat in Luau Leaves, Ti leaves on bottom of crockpot add Lau Lau, top with Ti, set timer for 7 hours. Not traditional, but easy and delicious. (Can add Butterfish, but we didn't have any).
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Kuhio Grille - Home Of The Famous 1lb Laulau
Prince Kuhio Plaza, 111 East Puainako Street #106A, Hilo, HI 96720

THIS IS THE ONE
In the little strip behind the mall, near Starbucks
I'm almost afraid to mention a 1lb Lau Lau to the boys.

Make them split it, tell 'em you'll get one to take home if they do.