Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walter Becker, Steely Dan
Long time Hawaii resident, Walter Becker of Steely Dan died yesterday. He lived quietly in Paia since the 1980's. My daughter attended Haleakala Waldorf School at the same time as his son. One time when I picked her up from a 7th and 8th grade Friday night dance at the school, I could hear the crystal clear sound of the dance music emanating from the small gym all the way to the parking lot. When my daughter reached the car I commented on how good the music sounded and she said, "oh yeah, that's Steely Dan's equipment."

Walter was a great musician and a generous man.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
R.I.P.

I was not aware of the Hawaiian connection, very cool.
Walter Becker used to be a Punatic with a little shack near the Champaign Pond in Kapoho. He left after Kilauea took out his favorite surf spot in 1983/84.

A great talent and a huge musical legacy. Mahalo Walter. RIP

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Thanks for that HOTPE. I've always been a big fan of Steely Dan. R.I.P.
What does "Steely Dan" mean anyway? No, just kidding, I know!
Huge talent, gone too soon. Steely Dan's music takes me back to very specific times in my life...

RIP Mr Walter Becker.
I've often wanted a list of which SD guitar solos are his. Here are some:

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2014/10/...er-guitar/

1. East Saint Louis Toodle-oo
2. Black Friday

Title tracks:
4. Two Against Nature
5. Gaucho

On his 11 Tracks of Whack solo album:
6. Hard Up Case
I actually didn't know the origin of the name "Steely Dan" but know it now. I look at my CD collection a little differently after finding out!

No matter, one of the best and most talented bands ever and this is such a sad loss. I didn't know about the Hawaii connection, so am grateful for those that mentioned it. Out of all their songs, I find it very difficult to pick a favorite but love the versions of Bodhisattva and Third World Man on "Alive in America". But then again, I could have picked dozens more which are just as good.
PS.

https://youtu.be/D-6Axpqeuik

Turn the sound up!