Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electrician & Plumber
We are starting the process of owner-building a small house in Nanawale, and I'd so appreciate recommendations for electricians and plumbers. I've used the Punaweb search but would like up to date recommendations. Hoping for licensed workers who (1) would start & finish the job without working another job at the same time, and (2) work would be done by the licensed contractor not his 18-year old assistant. In other words, I'm hoping for honest, capable workers.
Wow Maude I thought you had lived here awhile. You must know how things work here, how customers are lined up in order, that minor jobs get pushed back. Every contractor I know of has apprentices or assistants that do a lot of the work. What is wrong with that? It all gets inspected or failed, that's all that matters in the end, isn't it?
I have lived here 10 years but have never built a house or worked with contractors or inspectors. I guess I have a learning curve, thanks for the reality check leilaniguy. I still need some recommendations if any punawebbers have electricians or plumbers they have had positive experiences with.
I have had very positive experiences with Drainpipe Plumbing for a complete bathroom gut and remodel. Although it wasn't new construction, the bathroom was torn down to the studs and redone. They were very professional and on time. I asked if they do new construction and was told that they do. I have also used them for repairs with the same good results.
i used puna plumbing if still owned by danny. he was great. he did everything himself, drain lines, water lines, gas lines. water heater. would use him again in a heartbeat... timely, fast and reliable. but be sure to always ask those questions you posed for punawebbers...
Second on Drainpipe. I did have one issue where a piece needed to be blocked out for the bathtub to fit and the carpenter they had do it charged too much for a poor job. But the plumbing itself was all well done. They also came out and fixed a mistake they made at no charge.

For electric I had Ross Iwamoto. He did a good job, but was really difficult to get hold of. That said, I went with him in the first place because I called three other electricians; one of them came over to give me an estimate and said it was impossible (which it obviously wasn't; all I wanted was a couple of outlets), and the other two never returned my calls.
I agree on Drainpipe. For electric, we went with Moke's Electric...they did a great job on a whole home re-wire.
Mahalo everyone. Very helpful suggestions for plumbers - Drainpipe sounds like a real possibility. I've had discouraging experiences with electricians for smallkine jobs, Moke being one - they either don't return calls, or actually come out, bid it, and then never show. So I'm still interested in electrician recommendations.
I used Wachter electric, but it was a pretty big job. They did a good job for me. This was three years ago.
I used Drainpipe Plumbing for a fairly small job (less than $1000). They responded quickly, came out on time and did a much better job than I was expecting. They are expensive, but maybe on a larger job, you'll get a better deal.
Problem is all good contractors are really busy with all the building going on and the fact they can't get and keep decent workers.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Odie, Pro Plumbing, is awesome. He has worked on two houses for us. He has a lot of experience and is a really nice guy too. 987 4474 or 640 0512, proplumbingandsolar.com