Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Vietnam War - PBS
Tonight, September 17th is the premier of a new series about the Vietnam War on PBS by Ken Burns. The first episode will be shown twice, both at 8 PM & 9 PM.

Hawaii was a staging ground for the war, and a fair number of people who passed through the islands stayed for a time, or moved here permanently. I think it's fair to say a number of members on Punaweb probably lived through that era, and may have stories to share about how their Hawaii-Vietnam connection came about.

Remember folks, Rob has already decided on the shape of the table at our Puna-Vietnam-PBS Accord, and our Agreement on Keeping it Locally Related. The war ended a long time ago, so there's no reason to discuss the politics of the fighting, or the right or the wrong of the parties involved. The war is over, we're still here, so please keep any discussion centered around Hawaii as it relates to the Vietnam War.

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Thanks for the reminder. Forgot to set the DVR. It looks really good.
I just finished watching the first episode, on streaming. I lived through the sixties, but knew almost nothing about the period covered from 1858-1961. Episode 1 was a fascinating background and buildup to the start of US involvement, which began in 1945. So much of this early history was put into into context with other world events, connecting the links between Vietnam, WWII, Korea, and the earlier French Colonial occupation in the country.

Did you know for example, that as a young man Ho Chi Minh worked for a time in a New York City restaurant? That when the Japanese were defeated and left Hanoi in 1945 he was an ally of the Americans, and quoted Thomas Jefferson including excerpts from the US Constitution in his speeches?

Here's a link for a video of some Hawaiian participants in the war:
http://www.pbshawaii.org/vietnam/

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Thanks, HOTPE. I just finished watching the documentary on PBS Hawaii. I learned a lot.
I lived through the sixties, but knew almost nothing about the period covered from 1858-1961.

I thought Viet Nam's history was very interesting. I concurred with John F Kennedy's analysis of Viet Nam...his thinking we should be helping Viet Nam regain their independence from France which was adverse to Truman's stance to aid our ally, France, w/millions and millions of U.S. dollars. I didn't realize this was the beginning of our involvement. Ho Chi Minh reaching out to Truman at the time and his letters having been intercepted was tragic...who knows how things would've played out had Truman received the letters. Possible mediation..???

I remember hearing back in the day that if young men were enrolled in a college or university, they wouldn't be drafted. I know someone who was enrolled at UH Manoa and got drafted. He was a conscientious objector so was sent to Korea instead.
if young men were enrolled in a college or university, they wouldn't be drafted.

mermaid,
There was a period of time earlier in the Vietnam War when deferments were offered to college students. By the time the draft lottery began in 1969 I believe college deferments were no longer available.

Vietnam draft lotteries were held annually for several years beginning in 1969, but student deferments were only gradually phased out starting with entering freshmen in 1971. Those who already had deferments kept them until graduation or age 24 as long as they stayed in college with passing grades. It all became moot when the draft ended entirely in January, 1973.

When I moved to Hawaii, a number of Vietnam Vets whom I knew remarked about how amazing it was to spend time here, either in being staged for deployment or for R&R. They were shown a lot of Aloha, and it meant the world to them.
The PBS Series was really informative and timely, sometimes hard to watch, much less live.
When I graduated in the late 60's, nearly all the young men not going to College enlisted. Even the College guys did either during their time at school or after they graduated. It was just the "thing to do". My brother, Husband and nearly all our male friends served and sacrificed their innocence and youth and often their very lives.
There was one exception, and I remember him sitting on a wall alone, with his uncommonly long hair, smoking something.

mermaid -
I think the draft lottery is a good example of what happens when the government designs something. You get a lottery where nobody can win anything, but if they do call your number and it's low, you lose.

Appreciate the clarifications HOTPE and Chunkster on the draft and lottery system. This person I was referring to started at UH Manoa in 1971, so there you go...