Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testing a warning system - delayed
Although I suspect it's unlikely Hawaii is really under immediate threat from a nuclear device being sent this way, the rhetoric between the US and NK leaders means it can't be ruled out. Even an H-bomb exploding over the Pacific ocean could be a big problem for us depending on where it occurs.

In the meantime, we get this:

"Attack siren tests on hold: More specific sound considered as part of state’s nuclear threat response"

https://goo.gl/qMa3nX

Essentially, the sound a siren makes is proving to be a difficult decision to make. Surely this is a joke? The whole planet has used a very reliable air raid warning sound well before WWII. It's unpleasant but certainly gets your attention.

https://youtu.be/m3LGopSVju4

I wonder if these legislators spend months debating what ringtones they use for their smart phones?
Maybe they will get this done when the well pumps work in Kona.....
the sound a siren makes is proving to be a difficult decision to make. ... The whole planet has used a very reliable air raid warning sound well before WWII. It's unpleasant but certainly gets your attention.

An amplified speaker with the sound of politicians talking would send me for cover.

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
More specific sound considered

Pretty sure they meant "new sirens" because that's a big fat contract for someone's buddies. FIgure a 3-year contract and two more years of "debugging" (because sirens are hard), by which time the Nork problem will be long past.
Just find your local lava tube and meet the new neighbors! Seriously, find one and get your "go bag" ready, cuz the nuts are popping outta their shell. Just remember no fuel burning appliances due to CO poisoning, batteries only, and "oh joy! spam again!
Either that, or polish up the suntan reflector and get the baby oil out!

Community begins with Aloha
And this is a surprise because . . . ?
My understanding was that they want different sounds for different situations.
they want different sounds for different situations

Not just new sirens for the nuclear attack, but a precedent, so we can build new sirens every time there's a new threat. Earthquake siren. Lava flow siren. County water restriction siren...
Earthquake siren. Lava flow siren. County water restriction siren...

Panaewa road construction siren on Hwy 11. Because who can tell what days they decide to work on that?

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I was reading this part and wondered: "Even an H-bomb exploding over the Pacific ocean could be a big problem for us depending on where it occurs."

From a scientific, theoretical point of view, anybody know what might be some of the results of an event like that?