Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keaau Village Market moving
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...ket-moving

Tenants were promised 6-month notice, then got 30-days, and it's likely that some small businesses won't be able to find new space at the prices they were paying.

Rumor says "Walgreens". I say "traffic study?"
The notice cited “circumstances beyond our control” as the reason for the short notice.

We should have a sign on Highway 11, one at the South Hilo boundary, the other on Kau side:

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
There's already a traffic light at that intersection, so some other excuse would have to be found for a study. I will miss the little market and the businesses there, although I suppose the produce vendors (my favorites) will move to the new venue next to Shell. Shipman must have had a "right now or never" offer from Walgreen's or whomever. I wonder if the arsenic laden soil that scuttled a plan for a hotel where the HMSA building sits now is an issue at the market, too.
some other excuse would have to be found for a study

Trips/day volume. Then again, it's a corporate project on Shipman land, so the permitting process is merely a formality.

Too bad it wasn't a Lowe's.
Are the current tenants of the Keaau Village Market local small business owners? With business names that contain the words "Ohana" and "Shaka"? Will the new owner of the property (or tenant) be a mainland corporate entity?

Question for "The Protectors:" Is there anything in this situation that goes against your belief system and philosophy of how-things-should-be for the people on this island? This was the district in which anti-TMT protestor Kealoha Pisciotta ran in the last election, hoping to represent the people of Keaau. Maybe if the Keaau Village Market tenants had $1.3 billion to spend on the blue tarps they'll need to stay dry in their new location next to the Shell gas station, she might consider stepping in to act as their advocate?

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The farmers market folks are only moving about 100 yards away...by the Shell station.
I was told by one of the vendors that Longs was going there.
Longs already owns a double lot next to the credit union....
So it will be behind the shell station?
Walgreens/CVS owns Longs. The Longs brand is popular in Hawaii, especially among older folks. That is why they kept the brand. They will however phase out Longs eventually.....or not build any new ones. One poster on another site mentioned Walgreens going up on the Farmers market site.