Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Litigation Begins
Litigation Begins

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/...onal-parks

HICoP.org is more than a year old now. We have met with and tried to get the Helicopter Tour companies to voluntarily change their ways. Even our Representatives have reported the same frustration with the lack of results after meeting with them. The helicopter companies told our representatives to legislate if they want to change things.

For over a year now HICoP.org has encouraged the companies to voluntarily fly offshore and not over our homes. They have never responded to our requests and have not offered any solutions. In fact the FAA has plans to increase the Interim Operating Authority ( IOA) = more helicopters, over HVNP and that two additional ( 2 ) Helicopter Tour companies want in. To answer the community concerns, they have suggested community roundtables sometime in the future?

While our legislators ponder legislation and the FAA considers increasing the amount of helicopters operating here we have decided to enlist the court’s help by litigating.

I read where the pilots? on PW talk about where the proof is?

What you want to ask for are radar flight logs. An FAA Inspector can get these, just be sure to ask for them. You give your address, Google Earth has your GPS co-ordinates.

Ask for a 1 mile radius or whatever you deem appropriate. The FAA would not provide to me the physical possession of these flight logs. I tried to obtain them thru the Freedom of Information Act but my request was denied. You might be able to obtain them thru the FAA if you act quick enough;
https://www.faa.gov/foia/foia_request/

Fortunately these radar flight logs are obtainable thru a private company called Flightaware.com. Quoted price for me was $200 for one day, but because of the amount of data- Two hundred and fifty-four ( 254 ) over flights on Dec. 26, 2015, they jacked my price to $760. they asked me if I lived near a major military base- i live in Mountain View.

It is very unfortunate that it has come to this. This legal action will be the first of many to come.
Money never backs down without a fight...
It's just a shame the helitour business creates more revenue for hawai'i than Puna creates for hawai'i.
I'm guessing Puna generates way more revenue for Hawaii via marijuana than helicopters do via disturbing the peace. It may not be reported directly, but a lot of profits go back into the community and other businesses.
One might argue that if Puna didn't exist then the helicopter tour business would be a lot smaller. Wink
Not trying to be difficult here but most times I have flown over Puna I have been squawking VFR. I assume that the tour helicopters also do so. How would such logs differentiate between me and the tour helicopters?
Presumably we don't want ANY aircraft flying as low or close as some of these tour helicopters do.

One technical solution may be to mandate earlier ADS-B deployment in helicopters flying over Hawaii. All planes have such a transponder, and anyone on the ground can pick up and log their flight with a laptop and about $30 worth of equipment. It could keep them honest about altitude and route.
I think that I have a right to quiet and peaceful enjoyment of my home. Thanks HICoP!
mandate earlier ADS-B deployment in helicopters flying over Hawaii

I would settle for "mandate ANY", it's only another 2 years right?

keep them honest

...that's what we call a "non-starter".
HICOP and Ernst should have done a little better homework.

1st there is this regulation.

"A regulation called “Special Operating Rules for Air Tour Operators in the State of Hawaii” says “no person may conduct an air tour in Hawaii in a single-engine helicopter beyond the shore of any island, regardless of whether the helicopter is within gliding distance of the shore,” according to the FAA.

That would make HICoP’s off-shore preference difficult to fulfill."

2nd they need to do a study of the offshore conditions.

There is a frequent afternoon marine layer in the Kapoho area that will prevent offshore VFR flght.

3rd is that helicopters are not required to have transponders.

Transponders are required in class A,B and C airspace.ITO (Hilo) is class D or E depending on the time of day.They are not going to be required to have ADS-B.