Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
classic County
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...use-retail

County could save money and make life easier by consolidating Office of Aging and Office of Housing and Community Development into a single location. The old Safeway would be ideal, but there are "concerns":

The former Safeway space is located in a "retail area," Chung said, and he thinks "we should keep it (that way) … just for the vitality of Hilo."

What vitality? It's been empty for a couple of years now ... I suspect it would already have been occupied, but Safeway won't lease it to anyone who might compete... gotta keep that "vitality" you know.
I vote for building them new space in Pahoa.
That way highway 130 will get expanded to 4 lanes, quickly.
It's been empty for a couple of years now ...

Vitality... I think Chung might want to consult a dictionary, or consider context at the very least.

We'll have to check with gypsy, but if the building stays empty for a few more years the site might qualify for sacred status. Then woe to anyone who suggests using it for anything other than the occasional Cop on Top benefit marathon. Like in the days of yore.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
the occasional Cop on Top benefit marathon

Kapu on Top.
leilanidude @ 10:57:25; HOTPE @ 11:04:53; kalakoa @ 10:48:41 and 11:13:25-
lol, 3x, agreed. Good. Thank you all.
Classic County is certainly true for Chung and Loy.[Wink]
I had heard Dels was looking at that space. Sorry to hear they won't be moving.
That space might have worked for the current Del's, but supposedly when they move they will become a TSC, and they'll need somewhere to park the tractors...
An acquaintance who works at Del's told me that the outdoor space available at the old Safeway wasn't adequate even for their current operations. When they asked the mall for more, they were told there was no way because parking spaces could not be converted.
So Del's (and many others) will continue to be crammed into buildings they've long since outgrown....

Maybe if Council is so concerned about Hilo's "vitality" they could create more C-zoned space? Better yet, rezone some of Puna, like it says in the PCDP.

We might be able to "fake-up" a little more highway capacity simply by making traffic flow both ways...
Merle Haggard and Hank Williams Sr. for me. Wait, what? Oh... Classic County. My bad. Never mind.