Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
please read this.... and respond
Aloha Punawebbers,

I think this is important enough to ask you to read and then write a letter. It is actually a life and death issue for us all.

In follow up to the topic "Tiger Grant Program" posted by Wax the other day I called the HDOT engineer (state highway) to find out what is up.

Don Smith is heading up an effort to acquire federal grant funds to put up to four roundabouts at key intersections on Hwy 130.

Don needs letters of support in hand on or before Tuesday, Oct. 10th. Not much time.

I will post a draft letter below and point out that form letters have a bit less effect than original ones. They don't have to be long.

Our Pahoa intersection, one year after completion of the roundabout went from the #1 most dangerous intersection in Hawaii to dead last.

Roundabouts save lives, maybe yours. Maybe mine.

So please act now and draft a letter in your name in support of a Tiger Grant for Highway 130. Be personal, don't need to be long.

Do it now for all our benefit. SEND LETTERS SCANNED IN BY EMAIL TO donald.l.smith@hawaii.gov

Feel free to mention Punaweb.

Draft letter:

DATE

Mr. Donald Smith, District Engineer
Hawaii District, Highways Division
Department of Transportation
50 Makaala Street
Hilo, HI 96720

Subject: Letter of Support – TIGER GRANT, Consolidated Appropriations Act 2017

Re: Improvements to SR 130, Keaau-Pahoa Road: Pahoa Road from Shower Drive to Ainaloa

Dear Mr. Smith:

(Personalized Opening Paragraph)

We enthusiastically support this project and it’s completion for the following reasons:
• SR 130 provides the connection between the largest, most economical challenged, and fastest growing community in the State of Hawaii. Rte 130 connects the Puna District to the basic services, jobs, and opportunities necessary to support this community. The Puna District faces many challenges that this project could address.
• The 3.5 mile section of highway contains 3 of the top 5 crash locations in the Hawaii District and 4 of the top 10. This is the major route for the Puna District and the only route in and out of Lower Puna with an Average Daily Traffic of approximately 25,000 vehicles per day. Delay is the norm, an estimated 480 person-hours of delay from congestion is experienced during each weekday AM and PM peak period. Level of Service at intersections is E and F with peak period having the worst congestion.
• Commuter Routes from the Puna District to the South Kohala Resorts are the most heavily used in the entire Hele-On public transit system. Riders have a nearly two and half hour commute to their jobs in the hotels. They have to wait in the dark, in the elements on the highway shoulder starting at 4:00 AM to make sure they do not miss their bus.

This project would construct major improvements to improve safety, provide mobility, relieve congestion, and improve travel for alternative modes (transit, bicycles, pedestrians).

Mahalo Nui,

Signature

PS I want to extend my thanks to James and Elizabeth Weatherford for their efforts to secure our Pahoa roundabout. I've tried to call them but the numbers I have don't seem valid any more.

Rob Tucker

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Rob, I will email Elizabeth and ask her to read your new thread.
Rob,

My understanding of your post is that only signed letters (via snail mail or attached in an email) are acceptable rather than a simple unsigned email. Can you confirm this is the case?

Thanks.
Aloha Tom,

Snail mail seems impractical at this date. Don Smith provided his email address and suggested sending a scan of the support letter.

Punaweb moderator
If you don't have a scanner, you can reproduce such a result on most modern smart phones. Many of them have a photo mode you can select specifically for text documents, otherwise turn the auto mode off and turn the flash on. If you print the document with wide margins you don't have to worry about cropping the photo.
How is the letter writing coming along?

Punaweb moderator
I shall do so on Sunday. Thanks for the reminder.
Wrote via email on 10/6. Thank you!
Awesome. We will also email a letter immediately. Side note: we just returned from a month of driving in Norway, and we were tremendously impressed by their road engineering and especially their thousands of roundabouts.Even roundabouts in their incredible tunnels. From large cities to small villages, north to south of the country, they have employed this system, and it has radically cut down on traffic incidents, as well as improved traffic flow. Included is an engineering article for those who may be interested.
Mahalo

https://nmfv.dk/wp-content/uploads/2012/...Norway.pdf
phanor @ 05:22:13-
Nice download. Thank you very much.