Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Email to all 18,000 UofH Students & Faculty
Yesterday, Monday, October 9th all students ans faculty at all University of Hawaii campuses received an email, titled:
"In the event of a nuclear attack"

It went on to say:
"In light of concerns about North Korea missile tests, state and federal agencies are providing information about nuclear threats and what to do..."

Apparently, university officials decided to err on the side of caution due to increased concerns over comments made by leaders of both North Korea and America, and the observation by a long time US Senator that the US president has set the country “on the path to World War III.”

...locals' concerns aren't unfounded. President Donald Trump has been trading barbs with Pyongyang for weeks—last month he tweeted "they won't be around much longer!"—and experts have said a missile from North Korea could reach Hawaii in about 20 minutes, killing hundreds of thousands.
http://www.newsweek.com/university-hawai...rea-681496

Get your two weeks supply of spam, while you can.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I would not expect anything less than a Nuclear attack from a country thats been held down by U.N or U.S sanctions. Some claim America has already declared WAR against North Korea and that their sanctions against them is a Brutal Criminal attack.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/north-korea...rk-n806146

What would the United states do in North Korea's position or situation?
Maybe that's why America did develop Nuclear weapons decades ago and chose to use them on Japan in retaliation to show the world that the U.S would not be held down by other countries. jmo

The Norks would never, ever desecrate our sacred lands with nuclear weapons.

Not even to stop the TMT from being built.
Sanctions, ironically, were probably the reason Japan attacked Hawaii 76 years ago. Hopefully history won't repeat.

NK could have the sanctions lifted tomorrow by stopping its nuclear program.
It doesn't need nukes for defense and the rest of the world certainly doesn't need a crackpot dictator with nuclear weapons.
Our biggest concern would be if the North Koreans' new missiles are predictably (almost certainly) inaccurate, and they miss Oahu and hit the Big Island or nearby instead. Of course if they do somehow manage to hit Oahu, we are screwed anyway since most of our food comes through there. It's always a good idea to keep several weeks' worth of non-perishable food on hand, and we do.
Here is the message that will play over the Emergency Alert System:

The pre-scripted message that will play during an attack

“The U.S. Pacific Command has detected a missile threat to Hawaii. A missile may impact on land or sea within minutes. This is not a drill.”

“If you are indoors, stay indoors. If you are outdoors, seek immediate shelter in a building. Remain indoors well away from windows. If you are driving, pull safely to the side of the road and seek shelter in a building or lay flat on the ground.”

“We will announce when the threat has ended.”

Part of the plan is for students (and everyone else) to shelter in place for two weeks if an attack takes place. I remember when I was in college, we barely kept enough food around for the day we would eat it, unless you can include late night pizza delivery. A campus full of students in Hilo with no food is not going to be a pleasant scenario after a day or two.

Do any Punawebbers have two weeks worth of food in stock?

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Since 1953 an armistice has existed between the US/UN and the DPRK.
That means the Korean War of 1950-1953 has only been "on hold" since
1953. A state of war still exists today.
This is the very definition of "hair trigger" I think.
One can only hope for common sense[?].
And poor accuracy.
"the rest of the world certainly doesn't need a crackpot dictator with nuclear weapons."

Hmmm....somehow I lost track of who you were talking about.
This is wrong. I didn't get this e-mail nor did anyone I work with.
As unpopular as this statement may be, it still deserves an answer. What make the US think we have the right to tell the rest of the world that they can or cannot develop nuclear weapons? Because we don't want them to have them? Is that reason enough? We are the only country that has ever used them in war. And, our current leader is doing his best to bait North Korea into starting the third world war by firing off the first nukes.
Is it because we are the currently the most powerful country? Does might make right? So, your armed neighbor has the right to order you around because you are not armed?

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP