Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hilo Town Traffic Blues
Traffic in Hilo Town is rapidly getting worse. Too many cars, not enough pavement. Also evident: A lack of driving efficiency. Drivers here avoid practices that are the norm in Honolulu and on the Mainland.

I'll try not to come off as a griper. People born and raised here, especially local officials, don’t want to hear from a mainland transplant (me) telling them how to do things. And Hilo has many elderly drivers; they need to drive conservatively. Expectations about Hilo traffic must be modest. Hopefully these comments come off as observations.

Three notable forms of expeditious driving:

1) At left-turn-yield-on-green intersections, when the light turns green, pull into the intersection. Not only far enough for your car, but for 2-3 more cars to pull behind you in the intersection. [# of cars depends on size of intersection].

2) When you can safely do so, pass on the right when someone is taking a left turn. (Rarely a practice here. Even on wide Kinoole and Waianuenue Streets one regularly sees 10-15 cars backed up. Such as near the library.)

3) Drivers intending to turn right at an intersection: If light is red and another car is going straight, attempt to squeeze by, even if there is no dedicated lane. For reference, aerial shot in link shows busy Kaimuki and Kapahulu intersection in Honolulu, near my former residence. Several thousand people a day on Kaimuki turn right on red. No dedicated lane; cars barely have 2 feet to pass each other. (Hard to see but 2 close lines of cars are shown.)

If Honolulu traffic managers did not allow this violation of formal rules, which exists at dozens of Oahu intersections, the outcome would be gridlock. These officials are flexible.

Situations 2 and 3 involve other drivers: Whenever you wait at an intersection to go straight or wait to turn left, place your vehicle close to road center. This increases room for people to pass you on right. (Same concept as with shopping carts in supermarket aisles.)

Each of these items has key questions of safety, legality, and custom. Passing on the right is a particularly complex topic. Don’t want to make this anymore TL-DR (too long, didn’t read) than it already is. Will not discuss now.

Two other items:

1. Hawaii folks have long viewed mainland driving as rude and aggressive. Agree. Hawaiian style is mellow. Hilo is especially mellow. Fair to say Hilo and the mainland are opposites. Honolulu is more in the middle, a blend of efficiency and courtesy.

2. In the past year Hilo traffic officials painted numerous white lines along roadsides. And created numerous white-hatched zones.

DOT drivers' handbook: p. 26 “passing on right: you may not drive your vehicle off the.. main traveled portion of the roadway....” p. 35 "Edgelines are solid white or yellow lines along the edge of the roadway...safety guide."

I am not sure if the area marked off by the lines is designated “off the roadway.” But any inclination that some drivers might have had to begin driving more expeditiously around Hilo town is dampened by all these new lines. (All these new markings--much different from how Honolulu does things.)

The message from Hilo’s traffic officials seems clear: Drive only according to formally prescribed practices.

A good approach for coming years? Or might we try to responsibly phase in a bit more of traffic-flow efficiency, Honolulu style? Just asking.

(link might be problematic--sorry)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Waik#2...157.835698
If you pass on the right and there is a collision it is your fault. That is all I know. Heard this ever since the eighties: "It's an island, SLOW DOWN!"
Hawaii's Top Ten bad drivers

10. Target fixation tailgating
9. Babbling on the Cellphone
8. Seldom use their turn signals
7. Many have no Ins or drivers Lic
6. Having absolute no clue to merge
5. Putting on makeup at the stop lights
4. Slow to accelerate causing huge gaps
3. Hanging out @ 45 mph in the fast lane
2. Preoccupied thinking of mundane bull****
1. Flipping turn signal on as they start to turn
You must be new here.
might we try to responsibly phase in a bit more of traffic-flow efficiency

Yes. I call it "Not Having To Drive To Hilo For Every Little Thing", but so far the County Planning folks aren't willing to help.
Must be running out of things to complain about. I think the traffic here is an absolute delight.
Traffic is so so.. But when it becomes faster to kayak into town than drive the road system.. There will be something to talk about.
Hilo town traffic is no problem for me. It's the Highway 130 mess that gets to me sometimes.
Originally posted by Punarain

Hawaii's Top Ten bad drivers

10. Target fixation tailgating
9. Babbling on the Cellphone
8. Seldom use their turn signals
7. Many have no Ins or drivers Lic
6. Having absolute no clue to merge
5. Putting on makeup at the stop lights
4. Slow to accelerate causing huge gaps
3. Hanging out @ 45 mph in the fast lane
2. Preoccupied thinking of mundane bull****
1. Flipping turn signal on as they start to turn

0. Drunk driving
It might be good to mention that some of the maneuvers suggested by the OP, are not just a "violation of formal rules" or good advice from the "DOT drivers' handbook," they are illegal and if the police see you they will write a ticket.

These are moving violations so it's not just a ticket that costs several hundred dollars, but an increase in your insurance rates for three years. Probably another $500+ total.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves