Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roof solar water heater recommendation
Aloha
I need to replace my old (mid 80's) solar roof water heater (electric backup heater is no longer working )
If anyone has a recommendation on what is a best new system : Active or Passive and name and info for the installer in Hilo area please let me know .

Mahalo
Are the panels in good shape? Do they just need a decent cleaning?
I ask because I have not used my auxiliary electric backup (its actually turned off) for over a year. A few hours of sun keeps me in hot water for about 4 to 5 days. Day 5 means the water is more towards tepid than hot. A new 120 gallon tank will run about $2,000.
Likewise we seldom use our electric heater, it's normally shut off at the panel. I can deal with a 100 degree shower, I don't need to pay to heat it 20 degrees a few hours before the sun comes out and does that for free.

But to answer the OP's question, I would recommend Drainpipe. They are in HPP.
Ditto terracore on Drainpipe. They may not be the lowest cost, but they are honest, reliable, and very competent.
Did the Drainpipe owners ever fix that burial ground issue with their Beach Road property?
If you go with a new system, check on how well insulated the tank is. We got an 80 gallon from Drainpipe 4 years ago and it has never held temperature well over cloudy, cool days. The mixing valve also is slow to stop backflow from the hot water side, usually on very sunny days, so you get VERY hot water coming out of the cold water tap in the shower.

Allen
Finally in HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
We used Drainpipe and recommend them. Also, investigate the pros and cons or replacing your entire system - with tax rebates, it was less expensive for us to replace our whole system rather than just replacing the failed storage tank.
Thank you all for your response. Looks like I will install a brand-new system. I would like to know your opinion about which system you recommend: SolarHart installed by Hawaiian Solar in Kona or Sunearth installed by Drainpipe from Keaau. Which one holds the heat better. Thanks for your input